• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Fishing Local to me - Norwich

Hi folks,

New member here who has recently been completely consumed by Barbel fishing!

I live in Norwich and to get my Barbel fix have travelled to the Trent, however, I am wondering if you can suggest any rivers closer to me?

My immediate local rivers are the Wensum, Yare and Bure, however my research has revealed that even though each of these have historically produced Barbel, the glory days on these rivers have been and gone. There might be the odd fish, but I stand more chance of spotting a unicorn. Various EA population surveys show Barbel were present around 10 years ago.

I am looking for advice and suggestions of rivers that are close to me in which I stand a realistic chance of catching a Barbel. I don’t really have the time do a campaign, so would need to fish a stretch in which there is more than a chance to catch, rather than an odd Barbel turning up once a season.

All suggestions greatly received.

Sadly I think you have answered your own questions. But I like the other side of the country, and even the past productive rivers such as the Severn, Teme, Warks Avon, and now the mighty Wye are in decline in regard to Barbel numbers.
The major rivers you mention in your area were the original Barbel habitats in the country, and if these rivers are now devoid of Barbel, it doesn't bode well for the rest.
The Trent is hanging on, but is now heavily exploited so just how long will it be before we see the declone there is anyone's guess. The need to supply an ever growing population with water, and the subsequent reduction in levels, and the warming effect, throw in agriculture pollution, predation, it is a grim scenario.
Personally I, like many others have scaled down expectations in seeking the occasional large isolated females that offer a unique challenge in itself.
You might be better off looking at Belgium to satisfy your Barbel addiction, you at least are better placed than the most of us.

Sadly I think you have answered your own questions. But I like the other side of the country, and even the past productive rivers such as the Severn, Teme, Warks Avon, and now the mighty Wye are in decline in regard to Barbel numbers.
The major rivers you mention in your area were the original Barbel habitats in the country, and if these rivers are now devoid of Barbel, it doesn't bode well for the rest.
The Trent is hanging on, but is now heavily exploited so just how long will it be before we see the declone there is anyone's guess. The need to supply an ever growing population with water, and the subsequent reduction in levels, and the warming effect, throw in agriculture pollution, predation, it is a grim scenario.
Personally I, like many others have scaled down expectations in seeking the occasional large isolated females that offer a unique challenge in itself.
You might be better off looking at Belgium to satisfy your Barbel addiction, you at least are better placed than the most of us.
Hi Neil,
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Sadly, I agree with your synopsis as what has happened to the Wensum is a grim forecast of what might happen in time.
I think overseas travel is a non starter for me personally at the current time. I was hoping that there might be some suggestions of fishing some rivers closer to home for me, maybe within east anglia.
Thanks again

Hopefully someone will help Scott, but in the event there is some river in East Anglia that produces Barbel, they might want to keep it to themselves.

Not familiar with your part of the world, except we had a family holiday some 20 years ago at Kessingland.
So wild and unspoilt, a walk along the beach I found a small river that entered the sea, walking along the river bank it was full of Rudd and Perch mostly.

Good luck with your venture, the Wensum in particular evokes memories of huge roach and Bream catches reported in the Angling Times when I was a kid, many writers and broadcasters have highlighted this river, and none more so than the late great John Wilson.

Don't believe that these rivers are completely gone, in itself there lies a challenge, and any success would be that much sweeter.
Good luck.

Yes, the late John Wilson certainly put us on the map!
I am completely unfamiliar with other rivers in other counties that are next to mine, being Norfolk. If there was a river in say Suffolk or Cambridge that is known to hold Barbel, then it could be closer for me than travelling to the Trent or further a field. For example, The Great Ouse starts at Kings Lynn, then heads south down to Ely. I would be interest to know if anyone fishes it for Barbel.
Thanks again.

The Nene is probably the nearest river with a reasonable chance of success, but it too has its problems and is by no means easy. If you expect to catch each session, the Trent is your best bet.

Thanks Nick. I will investigate, and I don't mind a challenge as long as there is a reasonable expectation of fish.
I had a quick look on the River Reports for the Nene and there are no posts! hopefully another member might be forthcoming with a stretch/town/village to start with? fingers crossed!

Hi Scott, have a look at the P&DAA website, they have stretches of the Nene that hold barbel on day ticket and its a very welcoming club, they even hold 'Barbel School' teach ins to help beginners on their waters

The Nene backwaters tend to be the best bits for barbel or narrower sections of the main river with cover where there’s more flow, or weirpools. Good luck.

Hopefully someone will help Scott, but in the event there is some river in East Anglia that produces Barbel, they might want to keep it to themselves.

Not familiar with your part of the world, except we had a family holiday some 20 years ago at Kessingland.
So wild and unspoilt, a walk along the beach I found a small river that entered the sea, walking along the river bank it was full of Rudd and Perch mostly.

Good luck with your venture, the Wensum in particular evokes memories of huge roach and Bream catches reported in the Angling Times when I was a kid, many writers and broadcasters have highlighted this river, and none more so than the late great John Wilson.

Don't believe that these rivers are completely gone, in itself there lies a challenge, and any success would be that much sweeter.
Good luck.

Thanks Nick. I will investigate, and I don't mind a challenge as long as there is a reasonable expectation of fish.
I had a quick look on the River Reports for the Nene and there are no posts! hopefully another member might be forthcoming with a stretch/town/village to start with? fingers crossed!
Hi Scott, the only rivers with a reasonable expectation of a fish these days are the Trent and Wye. It hardly matters that you live in Norwich, I live in Oxfordshire and have no local rivers with a reasonable expectation of Barbel. Yes the Thames has barbel, and some big ones, but I don't know anyone who goes there actually expecting to catch. Similarly the Cherwell, Windrush, Evenlode, Kennet and Loddon are previously reliable rivers that now vary between difficult, super hard and a waste of time. The Warks Avon is probably my closest river with some sort of chance of a barbel, but that too has become a real slog.

Back