• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing in north wales

I have a week away booked with my family in north Wales near barmouth. I would like some help in finding anywhere local...ish to catch a Barbel.
Are there any places local that contain any Barbel? Day ticket waters better.
Cheers
Bri

There are no Barbel there, better of thinking about Sea Trout, or take your coarse gear and fish for Mullet in the Estuary, I would. Lots of Bass and everything else there this time of year, it's a very good area.

Ninety plus miles by road to Hay on Wye and over 2 hours drive sadly on small roads to get to the nearest reliable Barbel area. A few in the Dee but you might spend a year trying to find them. Worth a visit if its open and 25 miles from Barmouth is Coch-y-Bonddu books probably one of the best angling book shops in the UK. As others say mullet and Bass unless you can book into a b n b or hotel for the night near the river wye either on the way to or coming home.

Obviously someone else booked the holiday and you just agreed Brian. It can happen, but might I suggest you look for good barbel fishing areas and then around Christmas time just mention you might like to visit next year.
There are lots of lovely areas like Ross, Ironbridge, Hereford, etc, which just happen to have good fishing near by. Just a coincidence of course.

Back