• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel desert.

Lee Nichols

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice...

I recently moved to Frinton on Sea and having grown tired of carp angling I'm looking for a river to get stuck into for Barbel.

I dont mind a drive... but would like a little more of a chance at something should I need to.

I've caught from the medway and blanked on the Lea!

Any help is most appreciated!

Hi Lee, Im Essex based and I'd say you'll need to get used to driving long distances if you want barbel fishing. I think there are a few in the Stour and Wensum and of course the Lea but otherwise its long distance stuff.

I'm located in Suffolk and there are barbel in the stour but not loads and takes a lot of leg work to find them
I do most of my barbel fishing in the nene

I'm located in Suffolk and there are barbel in the stour but not loads and takes a lot of keg work to find them
I do most of my barbel fishing in the nene
I knew of a few, I like the roaming so I might have a go. Do you mind if I private msg'd you?

I was thinking the nene... but not sure where to start. Never even seen it!!!

Hi Lee, Im Essex based and I'd say you'll need to get used to driving long distances if you want barbel fishing. I think there are a few in the Stour and Wensum and of course the Lea but otherwise its long distance stuff.
I dont mind the driving... just want to make sure it's worth while if I do drive a distance.

I knew of a few, I like the roaming so I might have a go. Do you mind if I private msg'd you?

I was thinking the nene... but not sure where to start. Never even seen it!!!
For the nene check out the pdaa website which will give you a good start as to which locations are best to find barbel. Most are day ticket waters so you can try before you buy membership

Hi Terry,

No it's a bit further out... I'd probably stop.off at the medway if I were to go that way....

Thanks though

Would the Arun and the rother be closer
That's a laughable idea . Catching rocking horse ****. i was there today, a sucessfull angler on the fishery told me that he had caught a hundred barbel, fishing a least once a week ......... in TWENTY FIVE years! I'm in my second season, still haven't had a barbel from there

Wheathamstead on the upper Lea is reasonably easy fishing for mostly small barbel , but some go to 13. The other alternatives are , the Trent Or The thames

Ouch... that seems like graft!

But we'll done on sticking to it. Have you seen any Barbel?
That's a laughable idea . Catching rocking horse ****. i was there today, a sucessfull angler on the fishery told me that he had caught a hundred barbel, fishing a least once a week ......... in TWENTY FIVE years! I'm in my second season, still haven't had a barbel from there

Wheathamstead on the upper Lea is reasonably easy fishing for mostly small barbel , but some go to 13. The other alternatives are , the Trent Or The thames
I have been looking at the Veralum ticket.
Do you know if it fished in the winter months Colin?

I am Peterborough and District Angling Association, Secretary, just email me at jonfnewman@aol.com if you need anything. Our website is pretty informative and day tickets and memberships are available online at ridiculously low prices.

www.fishinginpeterborough.co.uk
Hi Jon,

That's fantastic. I think it will be best to pop up and have a mooch round at some point soon!
Once the new kitchen is in... ive got some brownie points to use up! 😉

I have been looking at the Veralum ticket.
Do you know if it fished in the winter months Colin?
Don’t join veralum if you don’t like crowds winter isn’t as bad but still gets busy …ok if you like shooting fish in a barrel…it’s like Collingham weir in miniature
This is the last time I fished Collingham …yes all 3 had fish on

Attachments

• BFF74887-64E3-4D56-B6F0-A4A09DDBFDA9.jpeg
    BFF74887-64E3-4D56-B6F0-A4A09DDBFDA9.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
He would find it relatively easy if he’s been fishing the Lea

Back