• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel book recommendation

Please don't stone me but. I've found almost all books like you're talking about boring, sorry guys. But it's the obligatory first three chapters of tackle, bait, swim location that ruins a book for me. I know the author cannot help it, as he is appealing to a beginner and an old hand, but often you only get 3/4 chapters of anything new or interesting. Yates is different, hence why I have most of his books in first additions, but while he tells a tale he is not over romantic like some are?

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for at a particular time. I read 'Quest' quite early on in my barbel fishing and helped quite a bit, The Deepening Pool came a while later but was equally enjoyable. I would imagine I would tire quite easily of reading some of 'Quest' now to think of it, but would still enjoy the Deepening Pool, but as above proves, would recommend it to anyone who had not read it. Sheringham was a favourite though!

Another recommendation
IMG_0817.JPG

I know what you're saying and I agree. However, I've just started on Tony Mile's Elite Barbel. Luckily not as described, with little of any reference to tackle...which agreed can be a big of a bore of a topic in a book. I can see though, that it is going to concentrate on the Great Ouse in its hey day. Still interesting to hear of the tales of his captures. Good read up to the 3rd chapter.

Elite Barbel is my favourite fishing book of all, not just barbel. The whole book totally captures the incredible hard work, patience and dedication that go into cracking a rock hard stretch of water like Kikcles farm, and the tiring slog to achieve the goals. Brilliant book. I also love Redmire Pool by Kevin Clifford and Len Arberry but it's now a silly price so won't be buying it any day soon.

Elite Barbel is my favourite fishing book of all, not just barbel. The whole book totally captures the incredible hard work, patience and dedication that go into cracking a rock hard stretch of water like Kikcles farm, and the tiring slog to achieve the goals. Brilliant book. I also love Redmire Pool by Kevin Clifford and Len Arberry but it's now a silly price so won't be buying it any day soon.
I've read it all now Alex and I thought it was a very good read. Captures the dedication and focus of a successful angler targeting big fish. Just stating the obvious, you have to be on the big fish waters to be in with a chance of the big fish. Tony Miles took his opportunities and put himself amongst them in surroundings he enjoyed.

The coarse angling today Barbel hand book was good, all different techniques from lots of barbel anglers Pete Reading, Ray Walton, Terry Lampard, Lawrence Breakspear, etc...

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for at a particular time. I read 'Quest' quite early on in my barbel fishing and helped quite a bit, The Deepening Pool came a while later but was equally enjoyable. I would imagine I would tire quite easily of reading some of 'Quest' now to think of it, but would still enjoy the Deepening Pool, but as above proves, would recommend it to anyone who had not read it. Sheringham was a favourite though!

I never tire of reading the Hurricane Barbel chapter - what a story that is

I never tire of reading the Hurricane Barbel chapter - what a story that is
That is a stand-out chapter isn't it? Always foremost in my mind, when on the banks in a storm. I was never able to mirror his results that afternoon, but there was always this electric tension which made it worth being out on it's own.
There is something about being out in such conditions that makes one feel so very alive. Some fell races I ran where the rain was stinging your face, the mountains weren't even visible, with lines even less so and yet those are the ones that stick in the memory.
Kind regards
Damian

Back