• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel book recommendation

Ady Brayshaw

Senior Member & Supporter
I've Fred Crouches book which is OK, and probably good at the time, but now seems a bit dated. Although behaviour descriptions still apply. I also have Barbel Tales which is mostly quite good. Also a 40 plus pamphlet type barbel book by Tony Miles. Good but a tad too brief. Can anyone recommend a really good read. Preferably not the flowery literature type. Thanks.

Yes agree...Elite Barbel is a great book. Focus is on Ouse which is my local but a captivating read nonetheless
On kindle too

I've just got the following books free of charge on Kindle Unlimited which I signed up for a free 2 month trial.

Elite Barbel - Tony Miles
Top Tactics for Big Barbel - Tony Miles
The Book of Barbel Fishing Secrets - Marcus Clay
Barbel - A Handful of Techniques - James Holgate, Martin Bowler & Terry Lampard.

There is a Kindle app for most digital items.

Another shout for Elite Barbel by Tony Miles. Everything I’ve read by him has been very good.

For others looking for general lockdown material, I found everything by Chris Yates mesmerising. The Deepening Pool and Casting at the Sun, in particular. The River Diaries and Four Seasons may be a bit more applicable to some on here. I’m probably preaching to the converted with these suggestions...

Reflections by Chris Turnbull and A Keepnet Full of Dreams by Kevin Crozier are recently read recommendations. I’m about to start ‘Avon Days & Stour Ways’ by the latter.

I’m not a carp angler, but heard a few interviews/podcasts/YouTube bits with Adam Penning and got ‘Rolling in the Deep’ last year. His stuff is up there with Terry Hearn’s, in my opinion. He also comes across as a true gentleman, a real credit to all fisherman.

Although not entirely barbel orientated i can thouroghly recommend a fool and his eel by mark walshingham & also the waterlog years by chris yates,a collection of articles written for the said magazine,ideal book for jumping in & out of at will

Tony's recommended writings are a recurring theme. I've always liked his work from his Coarse Fisherman days. A good all rounder and seemed very focused on his pastime. A sad loss to reading anglers. I've ordered Elite Barbel to start.

Quest for Barbel here too!

Please don't stone me but. I've found almost all books like you're talking about boring, sorry guys. But it's the obligatory first three chapters of tackle, bait, swim location that ruins a book for me. I know the author cannot help it, as he is appealing to a beginner and an old hand, but often you only get 3/4 chapters of anything new or interesting. Yates is different, hence why I have most of his books in first additions, but while he tells a tale he is not over romantic like some are?

Please don't stone me but. I've found almost all books like you're talking about boring, sorry guys. But it's the obligatory first three chapters of tackle, bait, swim location that ruins a book for me. I know the author cannot help it, as he is appealing to a beginner and an old hand, but often you only get 3/4 chapters of anything new or interesting. Yates is different, hence why I have most of his books in first additions, but while he tells a tale he is not over romantic like some are?
I know what you're saying and I agree. However, I've just started on Tony Mile's Elite Barbel. Luckily not as described, with little of any reference to tackle...which agreed can be a big of a bore of a topic in a book. I can see though, that it is going to concentrate on the Great Ouse in its hey day. Still interesting to hear of the tales of his captures. Good read up to the 3rd chapter.

Back