• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel and Chub study on the River Dove and upper Trent

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
I had this sent to me yesterday from Darin (Environment Agency):

The next open meeting for the Barbel and Chub study on the River Dove and upper Trent will be held on

11/12/2019.

7pm and 9pm

Tutbury Village Hall
Monk Street
Tutbury
DE139NA

Would you please let your members know, the project is slowly getting traction and the more anglers we get involved the better, if your members mainly match/pleasure fish these are just as important to the project as the specimen anglers who only target bigger fish, finding reports of smaller fish is vital to the project. At the last meeting a few anglers asked if I could let as many clubs know as possible so please pass the word.

If your club would like me to come along and present the study please let me know, I can come with full projector and EA badge or I can come in with my laptop and present in a less formal manor. This has to happen over the next couple of months while my work load allows it. We are getting scale returns and in time we will start to get a better look at what is going on in the rivers.

For more information email me or call.

Thanks

Darin Alberry
Sentinel House
9 Wellington Crescent
Fradley Park
Lichfield
Staffordshire
WS13 8RR

Hello to anyone else who may have been in attendance last night, was great to meet some of the folk there.

For those that never made it, I'd like to say it was a very insightful evening, with lots of very good points raised as to why the fish numbers across the UK river systems may be falling, and what preventative measures we as anglers can take to combat this.

I'd highly recommend anybody who can make future talks/meets to do so.

Thanks to Darin for hosting.

As someone who fishes the Dove, I really hope this goes somewhere. Note we tried something similar re the River Dane, where the E.A and others attended e.g reps from most of the major clubs, who controlled fishing on the river. All went well for several meetings, until volunteers were asked for, to complete tasks such as himalayan balsam pulls, regular kick sampling and Goosander counts, then it fell by the way, as people couldn't be arsed, which was very disappointing.

Hopefully you'll get the support needed to make this a success and good luck.

Matthew, what were some of the "lots of very good points raised as to why the fish numbers across the UK river systems may be falling" mentioned, anything insightful other than otters and abstraction ?

I'm a Dove angler too but live nowhere near so, sadly. couldn't attend last night. Please to read your positive remarks, Matthew. Also curious as to what preventative measures anglers can take to help sustain the local barbel/chub population? Did Darin mention anything that you could pass on?

I'm a Dove angler too but live nowhere near so, sadly. couldn't attend last night. Please to read your positive remarks, Matthew. Also curious as to what preventative measures anglers can take to help sustain the local barbel/chub population? Did Darin mention anything that you could pass on?

il second what Richard said!

Back