• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bar Codes in Angling DIrect

Gary Wagstaff

Please do not scan any bar codes on Angling Direct shelves i scan one and four transactions appeared on my mobile banking app as Game Box Pro
They have tried to take £92 .just spent over an hour onto my bank to put a block on but will have to wait as the they put the transaction pending so the bank cannot stop the payments I can only put them in dispute after they have taken the money.do not no how they got my bank details
Will be on to Angling Direct wigan in the morning
Only noticed as I have bought hooks that they did not have in stock on the Internet this afternoon
Gary .

Thanks for the heads up Gary. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

Out of interest, Why would you scan a barcode in a shop? I look after cyber security and I would advise to never scan anything with a monetary value attached to it. Also be super careful with QR codes, personally I also wouldn't scan one.

I'm sorry but this might as well be in another language for what I have taken from it. Didn't even know you could scan a barcode.

Out of interest, Why would you scan a barcode in a shop? I look after cyber security and I would advise to never scan anything with a monetary value attached to it. Also be super careful with QR codes, personally I also wouldn't scan one.
I always scan barcodes in shops to see alternative pricing, or for the actual pricing if it’s missing on the shelf edge label.

A barcode is typically a “Code 128” flat text tile and can’t have any £££ value associated to it, it will just return a series of alpha-numeric values.

A QR code on the other hand is a different beast altogether and probably the reason why then never took off (as expected) as the embedded link could send you anywhere.

I’m guessing the OP scanned a QR code and not a barcode.

I scan lots of food items with an app called YUKA, It gives me a score between 0 and 100 on how good/bad/healthy it is for me. You would think the word "organic", on a product would make it reliably safe, but this is not always the case. The app will also offer you a better alternative, if there's one available.

The older I get the more I loathe this move to more and more technology.
AI really concerns me also.

I scan lots of food items with an app called YUKA, It gives me a score between 0 and 100 on how good/bad/healthy it is for me. You would think the word "organic", on a product would make it reliably safe, but this is not always the case. The app will also offer you a better alternative, if there's one available.
Organic foods, like conventionally grown foods, can still be unhealthy if not consumed in moderation Derek. E.g. cheese, cream, red meat. But they do have the advantage of being free from pesticide residues and in the cases of dairy products and red meat will often higher levels of beneficial nutrients such as linoleic acid. And the water leaving an organic farm and entering a river is likely to be lower in nitrate, phosphate and free from pesticides.

Organic foods, like conventionally grown foods, can still be unhealthy if not consumed in moderation Derek. E.g. cheese, cream, red meat. But they do have the advantage of being free from pesticide residues and in the cases of dairy products and red meat will often higher levels of beneficial nutrients such as linoleic acid. And the water leaving an organic farm and entering a river is likely to be lower in nitrate, phosphate and free from pesticides.
Joe, the organic item i scanned was balsamic vinegar 46/100. The app told me it had FAR too much sugar in it. The alternative it offered was BATTS apple cider vinegar 88/100, available from all LIDL stores. Costco's apple cider vinegar, scores 100/100. 👍

Back