• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner Question

Two posts have been deleted, someone could be destined for an early bath be assured :)

I remember fishing a match on the Thames in the early 60s

A baitrunner in those days was the guy who ran down the bank and collected some maggots from each angler - so from a bridge he could tip them into the open cabin of the boat that thought it was funny to motor up and down, far exceeding the limit, causing wash and waves. :D

Thanks to Richard for the offer to look at the reels but I've made some progress:
I had a good look at the two 6010's that had been giving me the greater problems - these have been attached to my lighter barbel rods (1.75tc) and only been in use when river levels were low. It turns out that the baitrunner tensioning ring on both reels had got "jammed" and I was able to solve the problem in both cases by carrying out a straight forward service.
On reflection it was a dumb assumption by myself that it was a characteristic of that particular model of reel - it was purely a coincidence that both reels shared the same "fault"!
In truth, they could've been like this for years as these reels were originally only in used on stillwaters with the baitrunner set to give a minimum of resistance.

Thanks to Richard for the offer to look at the reels but I've made some progress:
I had a good look at the two 6010's that had been giving me the greater problems - these have been attached to my lighter barbel rods (1.75tc) and only been in use when river levels were low. It turns out that the baitrunner tensioning ring on both reels had got "jammed" and I was able to solve the problem in both cases by carrying out a straight forward service.
On reflection it was a dumb assumption by myself that it was a characteristic of that particular model of reel - it was purely a coincidence that both reels shared the same "fault"!
In truth, they could've been like this for years as these reels were originally only in used on stillwaters with the baitrunner set to give a minimum of resistance.
I thought that might of been the case. That collar or ring as you call it is on a very fine thread and it doesn’t take much in the way of crap to cause it to jam up. A good way to check is if you turn the reel upside down when you’ve tightened it fully.
If you can still see the little spring loaded bearing in the gap then it’s still got some distance to go and probably jammed up on the thread or in the gap itself.

Back