• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner Question

Les Watts

My standard river reels are Shimano Baitrunner Aero's that I bought way back in the 1990's. I have three GT4000 (single handled) and two GT6010 (double handled).
This year I've been fishing in stronger flows than before and discovered that the baitrunning facility on these reels (and the GT6010's especially) is quite light and won't tighten up enough to prevent a slow release of line into the flow.
Is there a way to address this? Any advice would be welcomed.

Even with the baitrunner adjustment fully tightened? i have some 4500's that even with no servicing since i have owned them (25 odd years...) and have no problem tightening the baitrunner drag on them (though now on the pike rods so not used generally)

once fully tightened then I would have thought not much other than opening the reel up and adjusting the baitrunner drag internally (though i have no idea if actually possible).

To be honest i dont use the baitrunner on my reels (apart from sticking it on when i have a fish in the net, pouring a tea from the flask etc) so sure someone else would be able to help further.

I always thought this era of reel had quite a tight free spool when nipped right up.
Maybe the friction between the plates is wearing out Can’t you leave the baitrunner off and fish upstream with a bow in the line during these heavy flow conditions. A barbel that hooks itself on an bowed upstream line in heavy water isn’t going to pull your rod in but you’ll get a cracking set of drop backs that you’ll have plenty of time to lift into.

My standard river reels are Shimano Baitrunner Aero's that I bought way back in the 1990's. I have three GT4000 (single handled) and two GT6010 (double handled).
This year I've been fishing in stronger flows than before and discovered that the baitrunning facility on these reels (and the GT6010's especially) is quite light and won't tighten up enough to prevent a slow release of line into the flow.
Is there a way to address this? Any advice would be welcomed.
This is usually the consequences of not freeing the clutch off when putting the reels away after a session.
The clutch plates become compressed and can no longer be tightened sufficiently.
The felt washers "may" possibly be rejuvenated by thorough cleaning and lubrification .
I would speak to a person who services reels professionally if you do not feel confident to do this yourself, he will also inform you of replacement parts availability if required.

Thanks for all the replies.
A permanent solution that will get the reels performing correctly is what I'm really looking for and I suspect that the problem does lie with the washers as described. My clutches won't have been loosened for (...cough...) years!

This is usually the consequences of not freeing the clutch off when putting the reels away after a session.
The clutch plates become compressed and can no longer be tightened sufficiently.
The felt washers "may" possibly be rejuvenated by thorough cleaning and lubrification .
I would speak to a person who services reels professionally if you do not feel confident to do this yourself, he will also inform you of replacement parts availability if required.
They work on a completely different set of plates.
Looking after The clutch itself while your advice is spot on (should be backed off between sessions) won’t have no effect of the baitrunner facility which probably spends most of its life backed off any way. The bait runner plates consists of 3 stainless washers and 3 blue felt washers. I’ve never actually felt the need to service or do anything with them before as I’ve not known them to perform poorly. I reckon something might of gotten in there restricting them from fully tightening up. Maybe the thread on the collar is full of crap They may well of worn out as well. I’d be happy to look at them if you want me too. I know these reels inside out so may be able to find the issue. I don’t however stock spares so if it needs parts I can’t help. My guess is most places wouldn’t have spares for them either.

They work on a completely different set of plates.
Looking after The clutch itself while your advice is spot on (should be backed off between sessions) won’t have no effect of the baitrunner facility which probably spends most of its life backed off any way. The bait runner plates consists of 3 stainless washers and 3 blue felt washers. I’ve never actually felt the need to service or do anything with them before as I’ve not known them to perform poorly. I reckon something might of gotten in there restricting them from fully tightening up. Maybe the thread on the collar is full of crap They may well of worn out as well. I’d be happy to look at them if you want me too. I know these reels inside out so may be able to find the issue. I don’t however stock spares so if it needs parts I can’t help. My guess is most places wouldn’t have spares for them either.
I am fully aware of how BR clutches operate , thank you !
If you read the manual it states BOTH clutches require slackening after each session...
He already stated he never released the clutches for YEARS.
Being of a much smaller diameter ...both clutches on Shimano Aero BRs are tiny ..hence the felt washers on BOTH clutches compress much easier.
I've had nations of these reels through my hands...some have been with both clutches left tightened for so long that the owners reverted to vice grips to attempt to adjust them.
A good reel technician will make replacement washers in felt or carbon if not readily available...it's not like it's difficult.

I am fully aware of how BR clutches operate , thank you !
If you read the manual it states BOTH clutches require slackening after each session...
He already stated he never released the clutches for YEARS.
Being of a much smaller diameter ...both clutches on Shimano Aero BRs are tiny ..hence the felt washers on BOTH clutches compress much easier.
I've had nations of these reels through my hands...some have been with both clutches left tightened for so long that the owners reverted to vice grips to attempt to adjust them.
A good reel technician will make replacement washers in felt or carbon if not readily available...it's not like it's difficult.
You need to slow yourself right down!!! There is no need for a shirty reply like that.
I know exactly how these reels work I’ve been servicing them and repairing them since the mid 90’s and despite what the manual might say I can tell you the washers in the clutch can be left as tight as you like for as long as you like. That will wreck the clutch granted but it won’t have any effect whatsoever on the BR system and the Op has an issue with the BR system.
any way that’s irrelevant. Tell me I’m wrong and I’m more than ok with that but tell me without the chip on your shoulder if you wouldn’t mind.

You need to slow yourself right down!!! There is no need for a shirty reply like that.
I know exactly how these reels work I’ve been servicing them and repairing them since the mid 90’s and despite what the manual might say I can tell you the washers in the clutch can be left as tight as you like for as long as you like. That will wreck the clutch granted but it won’t have any effect whatsoever on the BR system and the Op has an issue with the BR system.
any way that’s irrelevant. Tell me I’m wrong and I’m more than ok with that but tell me without the chip on your shoulder if you wouldn’t mind.
No chip on my shoulder.
What sort of reply did you expect when you attempted to imply I was unaware of the two sets of clutch plates in the first line of your initial reply.
You still appear to fail to realise if the baitrunner clutch is NOT loosened before storage the plates in it WILL compress.
You also are under the impression that because you had baitrunners in the mid 90's you know all about them.
For your information , I was importing ,selling , servicing and repairing Triton Sea Spins ,the ancestor of the Aero BR's in the mid 80's before they became available in the UK....probably long before you had even heard of a "Baitrunner" or Baitfeeder " reels.

Just exactly who the fook are you to tell me to slow myself down ?
Good Day.

Interesting , I've only been involved with the forum recently but have followed some threads back. Do posts get more acrimonious in direct ratio to the lack of bank time or is it merely personality clashes.?

There seems to be so much that is helpful, constructive and insightful within the threads and then Armageddon! I fish because I enjoy the total experience ( most days. ) If people offer advice/ insights I apply a filter as to what suits me and my situation. I doubtless get it wrong sometimes but nobody dies.

Happy Christmas.

Interesting , I've only been involved with the forum recently but have followed some threads back. Do posts get more acrimonious in direct ratio to the lack of bank time or is it merely personality clashes.?

There seems to be so much that is helpful, constructive and insightful within the threads and then Armageddon! I fish because I enjoy the total experience ( most days. ) If people offer advice/ insights I apply a filter as to what suits me and my situation. I doubtless get it wrong sometimes but nobody dies.

Happy Christmas.
It’s a very rare occurrence I get wound up Bruce and normally I’d be more than happy to be disagreed with and it’s all good forum debate.
in this case the disagreement came with a boat load of attitude and a shed load of little mans syndrome.

It’s a very rare occurrence I get wound up Bruce and normally I’d be more than happy to be disagreed with and it’s all good forum debate.
in this case the disagreement came with a boat load of attitude and a shed load of little mans syndrome.
Seems to be getting like bloody Facebook recently with all these new members 🤔

No chip on my shoulder.
What sort of reply did you expect when you attempted to imply I was unaware of the two sets of clutch plates in the first line of your initial reply.
You still appear to fail to realise if the baitrunner clutch is NOT loosened before storage the plates in it WILL compress.
You also are under the impression that because you had baitrunners in the mid 90's you know all about them.
For your information , I was importing ,selling , servicing and repairing Triton Sea Spins ,the ancestor of the Aero BR's in the mid 80's before they became available in the UK....probably long before you had even heard of a "Baitrunner" or Baitfeeder " reels.

Just exactly who the fook are you to tell me to slow myself down ?
Good Day.
seeing as we are doing my dads bigger than your dad.....
i actually invented the baitrunner in the late 70,s... and gave it to shimano as i thought they were a crap idea...... still do... 😂

the only baitrunner you will ever need just add human hand..... far superior than anything shimano ever done 😃😃
001F6A99-6DBF-48B5-BA75-32B43DA3B5ED.png

Back