• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner OC 8000 any reviews

Lee Williams

Thinkng of getting a pair, anyone here used this model and size, what's the verdict I'm after them for middle and tidal Trent as well as the Severn below Stourport

Hello - this is my first post on here, having recently joined.

I’ve had 8000 oc’s for a couple of seasons - they are very solid reels and good value. But a couple of things niggle me to stop them being better.

The baitrunner lever operates the opposite way to ‘standard’ shimanos, which isn’t a problem, save for the fact that it clunks back with such a snap I worry about my fingers when disengaging! Also the spool is relatively narrow compared to an Aero. Another niggle is that it doesn’t come with a spare spool - I think I had to find mine through eBay which were c£25 apiece.

From a personal point of view, they are large/heavy compared to an Aero style 8000 and I think they would be too unbalanced for anything less than a big river/floodwater style rod.

All in all, a good reel (at a good price) but not what could have been a great reel in my opinion.

The OC and the "D" models are the best quality Shimano's currently make in my opinion. Proper solid reels.

Hello - this is my first post on here, having recently joined.

I’ve had 8000 oc’s for a couple of seasons - they are very solid reels and good value. But a couple of things niggle me to stop them being better.

The baitrunner lever operates the opposite way to ‘standard’ shimanos, which isn’t a problem, save for the fact that it clunks back with such a snap I worry about my fingers when disengaging! Also the spool is relatively narrow compared to an Aero. Another niggle is that it doesn’t come with a spare spool - I think I had to find mine through eBay which were c£25 apiece.

From a personal point of view, they are large/heavy compared to an Aero style 8000 and I think they would be too unbalanced for anything less than a big river/floodwater style rod.

All in all, a good reel (at a good price) but not what could have been a great reel in my opinion.

I'm currently using 8000 XT RB which are heavier than the 8000 OC

I have 4000oc’s for normal 1.75lb work, then use 6000oc’s for big river/flood conditions ( and pike fishing). Had them a few years now, no issues whatsoever, I highly recommend these reels to anyone.

I also have the Thunnus in 8000 and 4000, however this is about the OCs, which I have a pair of 8000s, so I can make a comparison.
I bought the OC as a cheap alternative, the OC, Thunnus and D version are all comparative with only a few slight changes, bearings, clutches and body shell the main differences. I really can't fault the OC, it does the same job as the thunnus equally well, you wouldn't know, only if you looked down. Winding power is very good and the clutch is good, you wont beat the thunnus clutch as it has carbon washers. I'd buy the 8000OC again with confidence. Come to think I bought it second hand from our very own Clive Shipman.

Back