• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait

Julian Griffiths

Haven't seen or heard this myself. But a mate mentioned that John Baker on reaching 70 might be retiring at the end of this year? (quite understandable)
Good for him, he's been producing top quality products for years now.

Is there any other individuals out there in the trade as good as he is?

He won’t just let it go he’s not that type of person he sold his main business in finance some time ago but still involved.

His son and son in law I believe help out already so it likely to be passed onwards I would imagine. There’s to much of a hard core following I think for it to stop over night.

He won’t just let it go he’s not that type of person he sold his main business in finance some time ago but still involved.

His son and son in law I believe help out already so it likely to be passed onwards I would imagine. There’s to much of a hard core following I think for it to stop over night.
I'd imagine something like that would happen Daniel....
I personally don't use his products exclusively, but his company & knowledge would leave a massive hole in the angling bait world if it was to cease trading. His products are certainly marketed well... I'm helping with that here! 😂

He has released some new products recently and I believe he holds a patent (intellectual rights or whatever) for many of his products so doubtful (fingers crossed) they/he will just disappear

Haven't seen or heard this myself. But a mate mentioned that John Baker on reaching 70 might be retiring at the end of this year? (quite understandable)
Good for him, he's been producing top quality products for years now.

Is there any other individuals out there in the trade as good as he is?
Yes, that what he said in his latest YouTube video, he said, he will do it for one more year.

if it goes it goes I’ll just hand up my boots and buy of the shelf from a good company but in the mean time I’ll keep at it ☺️

I just spoke to John direct and he said I’m welcome to post this :-

“Yes that’s correct in a years time he will retire, that’s his intention right now any way and the truth.

That being said if he continues you to get the support from his dedicated followers he will look at potential options to keep it going for his followers. That being re distribution and a smaller range for example and on a smaller scale potentially”.

Not a direct word for word but quote but some clarification.

It’s time consuming for him and eats into his fishing and family time and like everything all things come to an end so I totally get the choice.

I just spoke to John direct and he said I’m welcome to post this :-

“Yes that’s correct in a years time he will retire, that’s his intention right now any way and the truth.

That being said if he continues you to get the support from his dedicated followers he will look at potential options to keep it going for his followers. That being re distribution and a smaller range for example and on a smaller scale potentially”.

Not a direct word for word but quote but some clarification.

It’s time consuming for him and eats into his fishing and family time and like everything all things come to an end so I totally get the choice.
Bit gutted with this and hopefully something will be sorted out, got a recipe using his stuff that I’m getting some results with! But totally respect his reasons

Bit gutted with this and hopefully something will be sorted out, got a recipe using his stuff that I’m getting some results with! But totally respect his reasons
Same I have a spread sheet with it all on 😔 but from his comments this morning it’s not over to it’s over.

He’s definitely full of intention and if we keep rallying him up we may convince him over wise ☺

There are plenty of good baits out there really.

The man is a legend in my veiw.
All the way throughout his entire career he’s focused on baits that are good for the fish and that they simply love to eat.

Its not about making as much money as he can because he could very easily label up bags of pellets “jb barbel pellet” and they’d sell by the truck load.

The thing I love about John’s bait more than anyone else’s is his passion behind them. You know just as you hear him talk about them, not one corner was cut, not one sacrifice was made and you are fishing with the absolute best of the best.
If your blanking then the fish isn’t there and it’s as simple as that.

I’ll be sad if the bait goes when he retires as it’s a huge part of my fishing and some special days have been on that bait including my all time best brace going 28lb 8oz early this year from the river nene here below.
Bait still laying in the Mat there 🤣
IMG_1920.jpeg
IMG_1935.jpeg

Best get some more on order eh!

The man is a legend in my veiw.
All the way throughout his entire career he’s focused on baits that are good for the fish and that they simply love to eat.

Its not about making as much money as he can because he could very easily label up bags of pellets “jb barbel pellet” and they’d sell by the truck load.

The thing I love about John’s bait more than anyone else’s is his passion behind them. You know just as you hear him talk about them, not one corner was cut, not one sacrifice was made and you are fishing with the absolute best of the best.
If your blanking then the fish isn’t there and it’s as simple as that.

I’ll be sad if the bait goes when he retires as it’s a huge part of my fishing and some special days have been on that bait including my all time best brace going 28lb 8oz early this year from the river nene here below.
Bait still laying in the Mat there 🤣
View attachment 28157View attachment 28156

Best get some more on order eh!
Girth of that top one 😳

I only started using his baits recently.

I’ve fished a new stretch of the Avon all of last year and didn’t have a single barbel. Then I made some homemade boilies with some of his flavours and had 2 fish in 2 visits. Confidence ?!?!?

He’s recently re-released Search-4 and bringing out pick n mix packs so he won’t be going anywhere just yet I don’t think. Hopefully he just scales down and still sells bases / flavours.

Very helpful chap over email too.

Back