• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait & rig delivery systems

Justin Cubberley

We bait boats being a point of contention for some and banned on waters as a method of bait delivery and rig placement.
Has anyone seen any forward thinking fishery owners extending this to drones?

Thats not fishing, as I understand it.
I have seen drones used when sea angling to get bait out well over 300 yards , when targetting fish that inhabit deeper water that cannot be accessed any other way except a seagoing boat then maybe ?

So far as freshwater fishing is concerned , it smacks of desperation, but no doubt it has already been done, and I will bet that some super dooper all singing and fancy hinged stripped back braid anti eject pop up /down back lead thingumy jig rig has been "invented" to complement it as well.

David.

Drones have been banned on Dartford DAPS waters. This was mainly for safety reasons as some bone head was "buzzing" anglers at Brooklands Lake back in the summer.....me personally, the cast is part of the challenge so I wouldn't use a bait boat or drone to get a bait/rig into position neither method is "cricket" in my book.

I know what you mean Joe.

Amazing the distance and depth they can sneek up from...
Usually a mistake by one backs them off.

I'm assuming then that most are unaware of any specific fishery banning the use of drones for this particular purpose.
As to one of the points raised, what is to be considered as 'sporting'? I'm curious as to know where this line is to be drawn?
Should you ban someone who can cast a bait 200 yards as they may have an advantage over most other anglers? Swim feeders allow you to bait accurately at distance, the hair rig has quadrupled people's catch rates... Rod, reel & line development have all impacted on how we fish. Man-made bait over naturals... The list goes on and on with regard to how technology has advanced and shaped the way we fish.
I suppose the question that came to mind is that -
Does flying a drone to place a rig require any more or less skill than that of casting from the bank?
Now I don't wish to offend those who choose to use centre pins, bamboo rods, cat gut with crow quills all hauled to the bank side in a wicker basket...but I'm sure you would agree that you will have fewer options in your pursuit than that of a the chap in the next peg with more up to date equipment. Angling abilities aside.
Is the mindset of the majority to ban / condone the use of a new, modern method or technique simply because its something we may not see ourselves using in the immediate future (perhaps due to cost) or on principle? If it is on principle alone. What are those rules?

If you want to sit on a fishery with bait boats and drones flitting in and out then your choice Justin but not mine...my local club committee has my complete support in banning the aforesaid methods. Anyone who doesn’t like it has the opportunity to propose a change in the rule, get it supported and attend the AGM to get it altered..If it did change I would either not fish the water in question or leave the club. Regarding your comments about casting ability, IF I were still Carp fishing and the bloke next door was catching more because of his ability to fish at range I would try and develope my skill set. My PERSONAL opinion is fishing is all about using a rod and reel (or a pole if that floats your boat) and not boats & planes. Feeders etc. are part of the terminal tackle for me just as a hook is.

Bill, I don't have a view in regard to their use one way or another. Im pretty much of the opiniom that you should be able to do what you want as conditions dictate. I personally wouldn't say use a boat to bait up at 30 yards... But if using a boat forms part of your day's enjoyment. So be it. Im simply posing the question.

I often use a baiting pole for placing rigs under tree branches etc I wonder if this falls into the aforementioned category

I have owned and used 5 different bait boats the last one was fitted with a GPS and sonar
ALL were only ever used in France on very large lakes ..................I have never used a bait boat in this country never seen the need as lakes here are much smaller that I have fished

and in some cases ON SOME lakes the pressured waters that are fished 24 hours a day every day of the year (apart from when they freeze over ) I can honestly say it could mean the difference of catching or blanking

yes of course the fish will come in closer than 150 yards but they wont pick up baits ? yet drop a baited rig at 200 yards and get lots of runs !!
I have been fishing long enough to be accused of

CHEATING ! using an electric bite indicator a Heron when they fist came out ! and remember Clubs BANNING Hempseed as it was drugging the fish and they would get addicted to it
funny how times move on innit 🤔 :D

One of the greatest innovators in angling was Richard Walker , I wonder what he would reckon to drones , bait boats etc ? My guess would be that he would have given them a go even if it was just for the fun of it . For me I think these bait / rig ' delivery ' methods tend to discourage anglers from using their common sense or ' watercraft ' as it's also referred to . I fish a little pond for tench and regularly see carp anglers chugging their bait / rig out to a spot within 10 yards of the far bank , why ? All they have to do is quietly walk round and drop their rig in to the same spot with a gentle underarm lob !Technological innovation in angling is fine , however some anglers think that if they have the latest delivery technology it will guarantee them more / bigger fish , sadly often this isn't the case . Right I'm off to dry my silk lines ....

Mike, my thinking is very similar to yours, but there is another consideration I believe. The use of bait boats or drones will allow an angler to put a bait where previously he could not. A place which was inaccessible to all anglers without these devices. A place where a recently spawned, or recently released fish could rest up and recover. If we do not have some restrictions on our waters then it is likely the fish will get hooked more frequently, are more likely to sustain injuries and so likely to die sooner.
Cod stocks in the north sea are a prime example of man's ability to destroy something by utilizing newer technologies, leaving nothing or almost nothing for future generations to enjoy.

Drones are banned on all my club waters, in these days of litigation and having public access its a no-brainer. You have to wonder where the future of Angling is going. In a couple of hundred years will 'anglers' be sitting at home in a gaming chair and having a day's fishing without leaving the house.

Justin purely health and safety, if you are running a club these days and the general public have access to any of your waters its one of those decisions you have to take in case an accident occurs and your club gets sued. We had to recently introduce a no climbing rule, again because of the fear an angler fell out of a tree, seriously injured himself and sued the club. Sadly its the way the country is going these days and you need to cover your arse.

I fully understand those clubs instigating rules to protect themselves against the stupid, possibly criminal. As you say, sadly its a sign of the times.
I would be more Intersted to see what language these clubs use with regard to that of rc devices as I'm pretty sure that the technology has moved on much quicker than that of the rule writers ideals and as you are aware from those details in your post, some clever so and so is waiting for a opportunity to exploit what may be inferd but not clearly stated.
I can imagine that some of those waters that cried foul play, harrumph and scowled at the use of bait boats may need to check the language of their ban as I doubt that they had the foresight say 5 years ago to include that of drones of flight

Last edited:
Back