• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait droppers

I discovered the hard way that your normal £4 bait dropper in the maximum size is useless on a big deep river. But then I discovered the easy way that if you put in quite a lot of gravel it'll still do the business.

I discovered the hard way that your normal £4 bait dropper in the maximum size is useless on a big deep river. But then I discovered the easy way that if you put in quite a lot of gravel it'll still do the business.

what I found with the cheaper big ones was the hinge eventually failing and the door just falling off...other than that they were usable for about 5 casts:D

Unhinged.

Even the large seymo that is no more has a hinge that parts company after a while, one with a proper welded and bolted hinge similar to a door hinge only a tad bit smaller would be usefull, down to my last 2 seymos now !

I'm also down to my last two.....I always drill holes in the hinges in mine, and secure with a few pop rivets, that usually means the hinges stay put.

I substitute small NYLON cable ties for the hinges when they start to go , works a treat .Also cut the original lead off and araldite a far larger lead in its place , having checked the door will open first .

well good old dinsmores...they'll be doing the seymo's next year in 60 and 120g

That's good to know, great news. Although I use the Dinsmores most of the time, the smaller Seymo's are handy for certain conditions. Be interesting to see if they can improve on them.

You could always make your own..... There is an article in a book called The Complete Barbel Angler by Roger Miller for those wishing to do so.

We used to make them out of two Tuna cans.One gets used for the lid and the other for the body.You use two types of can opener, one cuts the inside lip the other the outside so they fit together, couple of tye-wraps for the hinge,its easy done but not easily cast

There are lots of different types of tins in various forms that could be used for better casting Mark. And they don't have to be round. It's all down to your imagination and what's on the supermarket shelves.

That's true Ian,i suppose a sardine can would be better in size to cast.This was a long time ago and i seem to think Trevor West wrote something up about the tuna can dropper.

Tuna cans are all right for close in work. Underhand cast. But you can cast them with a 2lb test rod using braid a fair way if needs must. It helps on the retrieve if the can is punctured full of holes to let the water pass through and helps push the contents out I suppose.

Dinsmore Bait Dropper

For anyone like me who mourned the demise of the Seymo teardrop bait dropper, just heard some good news, Dinsmore are starting to produce the same version in the small and medium size not sure when they will be in the shops but the sooner the better

Cheers
Mark

For anyone like me who mourned the demise of the Seymo teardrop bait dropper, just heard some good news, Dinsmore are starting to produce the same version in the small and medium size not sure when they will be in the shops but the sooner the better

Cheers
Mark

There's one sat on the side in my utility room already ;)

Cheers
Mark

Can't wait for those to arrive Mark. The medium ones (4oz), are the nuts. I used to have 5 of them, currently down to my last two. I do find they do need modifications though, the doors can work loose, so I pop rivet mine on before i use them.

JC

Likewise John! I lost my last 4oz one a while back and been using interior round ones on the Lower recently and they're not upto it

Cheers
Mark

Back