• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait Dropper

Casting mainly. They fly like arrows and hit the water like a dart.
Exactly why I think that a Spopper is more suited to larger rivers Richard, I don't have to do a overhead cast on any of my local rivers and having used a Spomb extensively on many a lake for Carp fishing can see the benefit when having to do a longer cast but when you only have to do an underarm lob a dropper works just as well for me ;)

Exactly why I think that a Spopper is more suited to larger rivers Richard, I don't have to do a overhead cast on any of my local rivers and having used a Spomb extensively on many a lake for Carp fishing can see the benefit when having to do a longer cast but when you only have to do an underarm lob a dropper works just as well for me ;)
One spopper does all keith,
From a gentle underarm lob to missile launching.

Dave’s hit the nail on the head Keith. A spopper does it all and more importantly it does everything better than a dropper can.

I can build Spoppers on the mini spomb at less than 2 oz, they’ll hold more than a 2oz dropper and because of their aerodynamic shape they hit the water with less disturbance than a 2 oz dropper.
More bait, less casts, less disturbance and…….the ability to cast it further and more accurate if you so wish.

I don’t fish large rivers for barbel at all.
I can’t overhead cast for shit as I only do it about twice a year 🤣 Still wouldn’t be without my spopper.

Edit …. Don’t get me wrong, before I made my Spoppers, I used the 2oz dropper for decades and it does a brilliant job if you’ve got a decent one.

Last edited:
Back