• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait dropper on a light set up

as said, pva mesh tube, add a few stones, tie off loose end and toss it in , if not then again pva mesh tube (small diameter), add afew maggots attach a clip onto your weight add small stones, job done you can make the mesh into
pigeon egg sized or big as required

Feeders have their place but surely they are a different beast to the dropper approach?

Droppers are often used at start of a session to deposit some freebies on the bed and then let the fish start to feed with growing confidence, "bait and wait".

Feeders are more suited to some free offerings every cast rather than getting a bed of feed down at the start.

The advantage of droppers is they drop their contents on hitting the bottom, unlike feeders where one usually waits for the contents to empty. This can be an advantage of the feeder in flowing water in providing a constant attraction in the vicinity of the hook-bait.

A large dropper is much bigger than the average feeder and capable of getting more feed deposited quickly, especially if you are using Ye Olde Ham or Quality Street tins :eek:

Some prefer the dropper to get the disturbance over with where as with a feeder there is a constant large splash every cast. Others might see either disturbance as a bonus i.e. fish come to investigate.

Probably both will work in the same situations and it depends on personal preference. Still, other prefer no disturbance save running a stick float through the swim :D

Stephen

I hear what your saying Stephen but with the size of dropper for the set up the OP wants, he'd be casting over and over again to get the bait down

I think the original point of Deans post is getting lost here. He is using a quiver rod setup, so needs a very light dropper or means of getting a few maggots down to the bottom, when and as required, using that light rod. Questions like 'why not use a bigger feeder' etc. suggests that the original post has not been read :p

As Dean has not been back on to clarify things or give his views on the more sensible ideas offered up, I have to assume he is one of those dreadful people who work for a living :D Come back Dean, all is forgiven :D

He can't cast a big dropper/feeder, and he doesn't want a big bed of bait down...just light feeding when he wants it.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Tut tut boys :eek:. Im using a very light set up the rig is simple 6 lb line 2 swan shots and a hook im using a light quiver tip rod. I don't want to use a feeder or use a pva bag. My set up is spot on for what im fishing for I just after a very light bait dropper to put in a couple of drops of bait in . I don't want to put in a large bed of bed .I have use plastic dinsmore size is sopt on but the doors keep coming off

Last edited:
Dean,
The Fred Crouch dropper mentioned in an earlier post is just what you need, its a plastic light weight dropper and the door does not fall off. I have used these for years for exactly what your doing and never had an issue with them.

Fred ( not Crouch):)

Would chicken nuggets do Clive...if your fish are anything like my youngest grandchild (a fussy 11 year old), that's all they'll eat :D

Seriously though, I love that idea...simple and no messing. Sorted.

Cheers, Dave.

lol@ david.......my kids like chicken dinosaurs........i aint trying to put one of them in a tube,,,,,,:eek:

besides they would make to much of a splash and far too heavy on light tackle......:D

Tut tut boys :eek:. Im using a very light set up the rig is simple 6 lb line 2 swan shots and a hook im using a light quiver tip rod. I don't want to use a feeder or use a pva bag. My set up is spot on for what im fishing for I just after a very light bait dropper to put in a couple of drops of bait in . I don't want to put in a large bed of bed .I have use plastic dinsmore size is sopt on but the doors keep coming off

Using such a sensitive rig Deano I assume you are targeting spooky fish in clear low water, (aren't we all at the moment), so unless I intend to bait and rest the swim with a dropper I would rather use a small cage feeder to trickle in some feed. Then switch to a small lead, seems to be less intrusive this way.

A big fan of pva mesh at the moment and not bothering with the feeder at all.

Just wondering why you don't want to use these items in favour of a dropper?

Back