• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait dropper on a light set up

Dean Aston

Is there any good bait droppers that will last more then a few trips with falling apart ? Im after a light bait dropper as im using it on a quiver tip with a light rod set up while maggot fishing.

I have one like these, not from Ebay though, I got it from a proper tackle shop. It's a pretty universal design and it's fairly light, there's not much to go wrong really except the hinge, and it seems fine on mine. You can also get a small size like this one, though I haven't seen one in a shop. I cut the stem down a bit so that it opens closer to the river bottom.

Weve got some at climax Dean check them out pal spot on.

Plastic the ones I been using as metal too heavy. Its to but out some maggots but the ones Ive have tried doors keep coming off.

Same thing happened to the last two I tried. Mind you, I probably was a little too fast with the retrieve :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll get a Seymo?

Stephen

Not looking to put a big bed of maggots down steve and don't want to take a 2nd rod just to drop in a small amount of maggots I used Dinsmores Bait Dropper are not the best if honest

Dean, take a look at these mate. I haven't used or even seen one of these, but they are made for match/pole fishing, and cheap as chips at £2.95 delivered, so worth giving one a try? I don't know if you are a metric man, or good old English inches type, but either way, the small is 40mm (1 1/2"), medium 55mm (2"), large 75mm (3"). I would think the small one should do what you want?

Brand New Grandeslam Coarse Pole Match Fishing Maggot Feed Bait Droppers | eBay

Failing that, for an ultra light version, I know some of the match lads used to make some for hooking onto their float set up without breaking down. Some used lead shot tubs or similar as a basic container, and obviously a bit of wire and a small modified lead. dead easy if you can be naffed. Keith Speer, or another ex matchman may be able to put you right on that one?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Dinsmore thamesley clone is pretty light and wont fall apart. Good copies of the original and in my view best. I dont bother with a dropper rod, less to carry.

small piece of plastic tube with swivel clip at one end. lead strip down side of tube, pva nugget top n bottom. works fine for me........:)

small piece of plastic tube with swivel clip at one end. lead strip down side of tube, pva nugget top n bottom. works fine for me........:)

Would chicken nuggets do Clive...if your fish are anything like my youngest grandchild (a fussy 11 year old), that's all they'll eat :D

Seriously though, I love that idea...simple and no messing. Sorted.

Cheers, Dave.

Back