• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait Dropper Modification

Gareth Boycott

Hi chaps,

Looking for a bit of advice. I currently use the Dinsmore bait droppers (plastic & based on the Thamesely). I want to increase the weight on a few of them to ensure they sink like a stone (needs to be precise between weed). What's the best way of adding weight? I don't want to be melting lead etc.

It's only for fishing a max of 2 rod lengths out so I don't need to cast it far. If there's not a simple way of increasing the weight can anyone recommend a dropper that is suitable?

Many Thanks

Gareth

Fox baitdroppers come in three sizes and with several interchangable weights.

For your baitdropper you could add a bullet ledger by drilling a hole in your exisiting weight, threading a suitable woodscrew through the bullet ledger so that enough protrudes to enable you to screw it into the hole that you have drilled.

you could try solder wire or plasticine wrapped around existing weight depends how much more weight you want to add both the above have worked for me

You could hacksaw an inline lead in half and araldite it back together around the wire above your existing weight. It just depends how much more weight you need, and how long the wire is, because if your weight takes up too much of it's length' then the trigger mechanism won't work.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks guys,a couple of ideas to work with. Not sure how much extra I need to add, will have to experiment,though I imagine an ounce would suffice.

Could try an Avid inline lead.Open slit with knife,push over stem and close with forceps.Maybe to heavy for you as smallest is 1 1/2 ounces.

To increase the weight on some of my droppers I have glued strip lead to the bottom of the receptacle part of the dropper, not only dies it increase the weight it also puts it in the right place to ensure the door opens.

Just tried the Avid lead on an old Thamesley and the door opens ok.Works even better on a tin dropper i have got(unknown make)as it has a longer wire stem.Lead is also reusable for its original purpose after.

Lot's of ideas to experiment with! Graham- what type of Avid lead is it? There's a safety version or a bag version.

Thanks again,

Gareth

I just wrap a dead cow type lead (the same type you'd use to add weight to a feeder) on the stem of the dropper above the existing lead, works a treat.

I use the round tin type dropper but I shorten the the metal rod with the weight on. I also take the weight off and replace it with a two once bomb which gets the dropper down very quick even in fast flow.

You could always bung a pebble in with the loose feed...........;0)

Dave

Just a reminder that the pebble should be soaked overnight and then simmered until soft to avoid it swelling up inside the fish.

Thanks for all the advice gents,very much appreciated. I've modified 4 of my droppers by cutting a 2oz dead-cow lead in half and wrapping/moulding it around the existing lead. I'll also experiment with some of the other ideas in the near future.

Thanks once again,

Gareth

Gareth, it's quite easy to mould a lead of that sort around something, because it is soft and malleable. Sadly, for that same reason it has an 'orrid habit of un-moulding itself after the slightest bash and falling off :p Considering the very vulnerable position of the new lead, I would advise a bit of Araldite to keep it in place, otherwise your modded dropper may have a very short effective life span :( It's one thing to wrap these things around a thin wire as intended, but perhaps quite another thing to cut them in half and wrap them around the rounded bulk of the existing weight.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Back