• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait disasters and near divorce!

On a weeks boating holiday on the Broads with my parents some 30 years ago. I remember leaving my bait on the boat roof after an evening catching eels, (i was a bit braver then). We all settled down for the night, but i recall the ducks making a racket on the the roof and finding difficult to sleep. I was awoken in the morning by the sound of my mother screaming, and my father shouting my name in a rather irritated voice.
Upon sheepishly entering their cabin i could see a steady stream of maggots dropping from the air vents onto their bed. I was in serious trouble and i was ordered by my also petrified father to spend the morning collecting every single one of them. Don't think my mother ever recovered from it..bless her.
A fond memory which makes me remember her, but also makes me giggle from time to time..wicked i know.

Last edited:
The best one i had, div 5 national on the drains, talking early 90's here, team tactic was dead maggots for eels on the pole.
As we got on wel lwith the local maggot farm, the plan was we arranged for all team members to have 3 pints of deads.
Travelling down to the national, we arrived in the car park, opened the boot and watched everybody move away sharply ( we had no idea of smell due to being in the car).
Got on the bus to go to the section, andf everybody started to complain about the smell of something being off (realising it was coming from the deads, i joined in, as only 18 and didn't want the adults having a go at me).
At the team talk after, it was mentioned about a smell, all 12 of us had the same experience, to make it worse, the maggots ended up floating, so watched a pile of maggots drift slowly down the drain.

About 25 years ago, when I lived in a flat, I had left all my bait next to the communal front door ready for an early start, amongst the bait was 3 pints of pinkies. Suffice to say the pinkies were no longer captive when I got to them in the morning. I had a few early mornings making my way to the front door and wearing my thumbs out popping the little buzzers before the others came down.

All this talk of N-butyric and asafoetida HA!! try spilling a bottle of Hutchys secret agent if you want to enter a whole new world of anti socialness.

Mic

About 25 years ago, when I lived in a flat, I had left all my bait next to the communal front door ready for an early start, amongst the bait was 3 pints of pinkies. Suffice to say the pinkies were no longer captive when I got to them in the morning. I had a few early mornings making my way to the front door and wearing my thumbs out popping the little buzzers before the others came down.

All this talk of N-butyric and asafoetida HA!! try spilling a bottle of Hutchys secret agent if you want to enter a whole new world of anti socialness.

Mic

We once laced a mates bucket of particles with a whole 50ml bottle of secret agent :) that was an interesting session :D

Worst lingering smell ? a bottle of Mexican onion oil we opened in Joe Taylors old shop, that stuff is so potent it aint true :eek:

Mic

I suppose it is all a matter taste (or smell :p: ) Mic. I agree that secret agent is a strong and very persistent smell, it lasts for ever once you get it on you. However, I don't find it an evil, gag inducing pong like some. I took a bottle of Nash Indian spice oil to work once, and when a non fishing friend asked what it was, I took the lid off and blew across the top towards him....he literally did gag and turn a funny colour....I had never seen him move as fast as he did that day:D

Mind you, I still think Garlic essential oil is THE most evil, persistent, penetrating, vomit making, totally disgusting stuff I have ever come across. A large, popular carpy emporium I use to frequent had shelf after shelf of all the flavours available, and you would often find a fair few guys opening and sniffing the offerings. NOT however the garlic oil....that was multiple wrapped and had a sign over it absolutely forbidding anyone to open it in the shop, and they meant it :eek:

That was probably the only one my wife would not allow in the house...our garage stinks of it to this day :D

Cheers, Dave.

I too have discovered a putrid deadbait weeks later, once in the coolbag, once in a pocket of the rucksack. It's amazing how what starts as a suspicious smell that comes and goes gradually builds until you reach the point where you tear the garage apart as it's become unbearable.

Maggot escapes are a near annual ocurrence - I quite enjoy hoovering the bluebottles up! Mrs Ponty is less keen!:D

The longest lasting impact came about 3 months before I met her. I thought I was being efficient putting some hemp on to boil at breakfast time with the aim of leaving it to gradually cook in the cooling water. Unfortunately I forgot to turn the stove off and left for work. About two hours later I was heading out to a meeting about 10 miles from home and I suddenly had a thought about the bait and was pretty certain I hadn't turned it off. I decided to head straight for home and as I got out of the car on the drive it was apparent I hadn't. A clear burning smell was obvious - the smoke only became visible when I opened the front door. My two pints of hemp was now two pints of little charcoal balls! The smell in the house was horrendous for weeks and was still lingering 3 months later!

When the pan cooled I tipped the contents on my compost heap and had a lovely reminder of my near escape 12 months later when I found all the little balls totally unchanged amidst the compost!

Another regular "putrid" experience is the forgotten apple or worst still, banana ............. always forgetting to eat the bloody things then forgetting about them:( Think that this must be an "old" thing

Last edited:
Another regular "putrid" experience is the forgotten apple or worst still, banana ............. always forgetting to eat the bloody things then forgetting about them:( Think that this must be an "old" thing

How about the ball of smelly cheese paste 'special' wrapped in a bit of cling film and chucked in the rucksack as a 'just in case' standby....and then promptly forgotten. Months later you are scratching your head trying to recall what the blue-green tennis ball that smells like a vultures scrotum could possibly be....now that is an 'age thing' (the memory lapse I mean....not smelly blue-green balls :p)

Cheers, Dave.

How about the ball of smelly cheese paste 'special' wrapped in a bit of cling film and chucked in the rucksack as a 'just in case' standby....and then promptly forgotten. Months later you are scratching your head trying to recall what the blue-green tennis ball that smells like a vultures scrotum could possibly be....now that is an 'age thing' (the memory lapse I mean....not smelly blue-green balls :p)

Cheers, Dave.

Brilliant.....:)

Hugo

:)

Cheers, Dave.

:D:D:D Excellent, has anyone ever told you you've lost it Dave;):D:eek:

In reply to the earlier thread No my wife never forgave me for the trebles, and infrequently speaks but thats another matter ! Another way I got to pee her off was after a weeks bivvy holiday in France after Cats. We were using half a tin of luncheon meat, hooked and placed in a plastic bag , the bait punctured then plastered in Squid & Octopus Flavour. It was left for while to soak in as we obviously didn't have a freezer, then cast out without having to touch it. It worked quite well and we caught a few large ones and a Tich of about 8 pounds that I unhooked on my lap while I was sitting down. Yes it regurgitated the lot all over me. I changed my clothes and put them in a bin liner but forgot to try and clean them before I got home, and left 3 bin liners of stuff to be washed. popular doesn't do it !

I dont have too many bait problems with the better half , as she used to fish for barbel etc with me for quite a few years before M.E put paid to that, however, since finding me microwaving previously frozen black lugworm in her microwave to spice it up a bit, well, she was not best impressed, mostly my fault I suppose , because I forgot to cover the buggers up, and also forgot to put the microwave on timer, and instead of watching the lugs, was listening to the news...

They blew up to egg sized black "stuff " and exploded, popped the microwave door open and splattered black sticky smelly ( you dont know just how smelly till you have done it yourself ) goo all over the kitchen walls, white goods, the open breadmaker, dishwasher,her Italian kitchen units,and a pile of ironing .

I am going to get them sewn back on when they have been removed surgically from where they are at the moment........................

Dave.....

Now.taking up full contact stamp collecting as it is safer in the long run.

I dont have too many bait problems with the better half , as she used to fish for barbel etc with me for quite a few years before M.E put paid to that, however, since finding me microwaving previously frozen black lugworm in her microwave to spice it up a bit, well, she was not best impressed, mostly my fault I suppose , because I forgot to cover the buggers up, and also forgot to put the microwave on timer, and instead of watching the lugs, was listening to the news...

They blew up to egg sized black "stuff " and exploded, popped the microwave door open and splattered black sticky smelly ( you dont know just how smelly till you have done it yourself ) goo all over the kitchen walls, white goods, the open breadmaker, dishwasher,her Italian kitchen units,and a pile of ironing .

I am going to get them sewn back on when they have been removed surgically from where they are at the moment........................

Dave.....

Now.taking up full contact stamp collecting as it is safer in the long run.

PMSL Dave, brilliant stuff :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I've never had anything that comes close Ian, but I have to tell you, your post is the funniest thing I have read this week.

near death experience.

genius wording mate, total genius

I remember flavouring some chum mixers for a carp match. One bag strawberry flavour, and the other squid. Both in sandwich bags in the fridge overnight. The combined smell left in the fridge the following morning was very odd to say the least. And the wife was very upset that all the food in the fridge had to be thrown away :eek:

:eek: left a bag of boily mix containing bird food in the broom cupboard,
resulting in some small flying insects that could munch through a polybag and bore holes in the woodwork faster than a dremel tool, wound up moving house and leaving em behind us:D, man they was mean little beggars

Back