• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait disasters and near divorce!

:eek: left a bag of boily mix containing bird food in the broom cupboard,
resulting in some small flying insects that could munch through a polybag and bore holes in the woodwork faster than a dremel tool, wound up moving house and leaving em behind us:D, man they was mean little beggars

Were they tiny brown beetle thingies John, between 1 & 2mm long? If so, they are the beasties I was on about in my post, and they ate their way out of a bag of hemp and infested our kitchen :D

Cheers, Dave.

Were they tiny brown beetle thingies John, between 1 & 2mm long? If so, they are the beasties I was on about in my post, and they ate their way out of a bag of hemp and infested our kitchen :D

Cheers, Dave.

Could have been worse Dave, they might have infested the blue-green cheesy balls that you have:eek::eek:

Yes Dave about 2/3rds the size of a black ant, orrible blighters they could and did munch anything and nothing killed them except a good squashing:mad:

Yes Dave about 2/3rds the size of a black ant, orrible blighters they could and did munch anything and nothing killed them except a good squashing:mad:

That's the little blighter's John. We had to dump all the dried packet type food stuff that were stored in the kitchen cupboards, spices with shaker tops, bags of flour, boxes of cereals, in other words ANYTHING that was in a packet/box or whatever that was not made of metal, glass or hard plastic, or which didn't had a very secure lid :mad:

I did get my own back on them a bit though....when we had amassed the pile of stuff that they had infested, ready to bag up and take down the dump....I put it all in the microwave, bit by bit...and nuked the little barstewards, just out of spite. They didn't like that a lot :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Old Robin Red on carpet - whole bag burst. That was the time when RR stained Tupperware and other plastic.
A bait/food dye called Ponceau 4R, container burst outside on rainy day - everything got the scarlet treatment.
Cheers
Bob

Old Robin Red on carpet - whole bag burst. That was the time when RR stained Tupperware and other plastic.
A bait/food dye called Ponceau 4R, container burst outside on rainy day - everything got the scarlet treatment.
Cheers
Bob

Bob Gill, Rod builder, AKA Captain;)

Cheers, Dave.

Mmm, sounds like an infestation of brunus scofall or common weevil. It might be worth noting that clothes moths have a liking for moist dog meaty chunks - the stuff that comes in cornflake size boxes. My garage was alive with moths and grubs and they chewed through just about every item of clothing that I had. Plastic was not a barrier and they even seemed to even get into sealed containers. Once the meaty chunk source was found, the problem was solved. Like Dave, I taught the blighters a lesson and poured battery acid over the box of meaty dog chunks. I haven't found anything to work as effectively as good old fashioned moth balls - not the new crud ones, the napthalene ones that used to be widely available but not no more. If anyone knows of a supply, please let me know. If you happen to see someone on the bankside with clothing which appears to have alopecia, then that's probably me.

Mmm, sounds like an infestation of brunus scofall or common weevil. It might be worth noting that clothes moths have a liking for moist dog meaty chunks - the stuff that comes in cornflake size boxes. My garage was alive with moths and grubs and they chewed through just about every item of clothing that I had. Plastic was not a barrier and they even seemed to even get into sealed containers. Once the meaty chunk source was found, the problem was solved. Like Dave, I taught the blighters a lesson and poured battery acid over the box of meaty dog chunks. I haven't found anything to work as effectively as good old fashioned moth balls - not the new crud ones, the napthalene ones that used to be widely available but not no more. If anyone knows of a supply, please let me know. If you happen to see someone on the bankside with clothing which appears to have alopecia, then that's probably me.

Hi Jim,

Looking back a couple of posts, it would seem another angler easily identified by his clothing would be Bob Gill, because he is the new 'Man in Red' :p

It is amazing the variety of things you get in a garage that seem to want nothing more than to be left in peace to munch their way through your beloved fishing tackle and expensive bait. I try to store everything edible now in airtight plastic tubs, because of the plague of locust proportions that infested it :D The mice and my gear is another story :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave

Hi Jim,

Looking back a couple of posts, it would seem another angler easily identified by his clothing would be Bob Gill, because he is the new 'Man in Red' :p

It is amazing the variety of things you get in a garage that seem to want nothing more than to be left in peace to munch their way through your beloved fishing tackle and expensive bait. I try to store everything edible now in airtight plastic tubs, because of the plague of locust proportions that infested it :D The mice and my gear is another story :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, I appreciate that my post is sligtly off the topic, but you really have to keep on top of the mouse infestation at this time of year, especially. At least 2 traps down and freshly baited every couple of days. It would appear that you clear one batch, then a couple of weeks of no kills and then another batch and so on. Touch wood, since this approach, I have suffered very little mouse damage. One bonus is that a mouse makes very good pike pop up "dead" bait.

I'm quite safe from the whole divorce scenario and probably pretty well immune from the marriage situation too, when I really think about it:eek::D. I've had a fair few bait disasters over the years, mostly involving fridges that look like part of the set of a horror movie. I'm generally not a bait tinkerer so the bait additive smells have not been a big problem. However, a few months ago I thought to try using krill powder on maggots. On it's own it's not the strongest smelling stuff in the world, though you wouldn't want to use it as snuff. Even once added to maggots, it doesn't seem too bad. However, leave them in a fridge for a while and the smell pervades everything and everywhere. It's taken several months and a couple of thorough cleans for the fridge to regain its more usual background baity aroma.

I'm quite safe from the whole divorce scenario and probably pretty well immune from the marriage situation too, when I really think about it:eek::D. I've had a fair few bait disasters over the years, mostly involving fridges that look like part of the set of a horror movie. I'm generally not a bait tinkerer so the bait additive smells have not been a big problem. However, a few months ago I thought to try using krill powder on maggots. On it's own it's not the strongest smelling stuff in the world, though you wouldn't want to use it as snuff. Even once added to maggots, it doesn't seem too bad. However, leave them in a fridge for a while and the smell pervades everything and everywhere. It's taken several months and a couple of thorough cleans for the fridge to regain its more usual background baity aroma.

Assuming the krill powder has the same properties as the meal, then there is a further potential for a 'bait disaster' in it's use....as you no doubt know Chris. Too high an inclusion level in your boilie mix, and you end up with more pop-ups than you will ever need :D

Cheers, Dave.

as you no doubt know Chris.

What on earth gave you that idea? Any delusions I had about making my own boilies were knocked on the head before I even left school. I did quite well on those curry boilies but my mother wasn't overly pleased that half the contents of her kitchen cupboards had mysteriously disappeared.

What on earth gave you that idea? Any delusions I had about making my own boilies were knocked on the head before I even left school. I did quite well on those curry boilies but my mother wasn't overly pleased that half the contents of her kitchen cupboards had mysteriously disappeared.

My dear old mum never had the dubious pleasure of such mysterious goings on, because I grew up a year or two...cough...before the boilie era :p

However, she didn't escape scot free. When I was very young, still at the cut-down bottle cork with a matchstick through it, bent pin, strong cotton and garden cane stage (I kid you not!) I committed a faux pas that she reminded us all of at every opportunity for the rest of her days, bless her. For reasons I shall never understand, I had been chosen by a family member to be a page boy at her wedding....and if that wasn't mortifying enough, it was decided that I should wear a white satin suit, with matching shoes :eek:

On the morning of the dreaded day, having been dressed in my cringe inducing outfit, tiny bow tie clipped on and errant hair stuck down with mums spit, there came that period that always occurs during the chaos that is women getting ready for a wedding...a quiet child seemingly becomes invisible :p Now...I thought it was rather enterprising and more than reasonable of me to take advantage of that hiatus to pop out into the garden to gather bait.....after all, what else was a chap to do when a trip with pals to the local pond was planned for the following day?

Sadly, when the worms in my jacket pocket were discovered just before the ceremony, my mother reacted in a way I thought quite unnecessary and completely lacking in understanding. They just don't 'get' fishing, do they? :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

absolute quality dave:D, just spat me brew all over the show.:eek:

I'll second that. You should try some stand up routine on the fishing circuit:)
The bent pin and bamboo cane thing, my old Dad used to tell me thats what he used, and caught huge Salmon oot the Clyde down Govan way. Mind you, he could talk sh!te for Scotland. (i kid you not);)

Stephen

:eek:Near Divorce Experience. Having recently emptied two pints of anchovy flavoured maggots onto the kitchen floor 30 seconds before the wife came home - has anyone else had such a bait related near death experience?

If it was only a "near divorce", then, in order to maximize fishing time you obviously need a bigger bait disaster.

A summer morning. A poorly fitting lid on a bait box full of maggots put into the boot by my brother... A visit to our parents at their care home beforehand whilst they (the maggots not my parents) spread to the recesses and compartments throughout the car’s internal ducts and pipes in a reinactment of ‘Alien Resurection’.

The dismantling of the car in front of an audience of elderly residents and the care home manager. Llike in French Connection 2 when Gene Hackman demands the strip search of a car for drugs concealed in the rocker panels – and then the putting of the car back together again once every maggot has been removed.

The racing of maggots across the care home car park,wet with morning rain... they can’t half travel... The aside interest and laying of bets as to which will reach the flower borders first.

The slow release for the rest of the summer of big blue bottles in the car and the dangers of swatting whilst driving. Pellets are safer.

now this is becoming a really funfilled thread filled with childhood ramblings
and generous amounts of adult bad judgement with bait:eek::D:D
i can remember when i slapped my 1st bream on me mums table and proudly
announ ced cook it for me tea:eek: oh did mum go into one cos she knew i was fishing down the canal, now 55-60 years ago the canal wasnt a good place to wash yer hands:D:D:D

Back