• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bail arms

Pike anglers do themselves no favours by sticking trebles into live fish and calling a thread on their forum 'Cl1ts and t1t5 on Friday'. I reserve the right to criticise any section of society that behaves like that.
Hi Kevin.
I don’t want to derail this brilliant thread/discussion too much, so I’m only going to comment to defend myself as a pike angler because I absolutely love catching this formidable predator on a cold frosty day.

I’m not against live baiting despite the fact I don’t do it and haven’t for years. (Convenience more than anything else, you’ve got to catch and keep them before doing what you came to do)

I think if we were to look at the bigger picture we’d probably not want to push this one too far for fear of tarnishing our sport altogether.
(Slugs, worms and maggots are live bait fishing)

your thoughts on this are shared by lots of anglers and we know this because live baits are banned in alot of places and that’s accepted by pike anglers but like I say there’s a bigger picture to consider before a protest.

As for the forum……. 🤷🏻 I’m a contributor on there occasionally, some cracking blokes on there with great knowledge on pike fishing.

yes it’s censorship isn’t the same as this one but it’s like anything. If you don’t like horror films you don’t press play in the same respect if you don’t want to see T**’s then don’t open the thread titled T**’s on Friday.
There’s alot on that forum I don’t bother with especially the political stuff they rant about because it gets brutal, the fishing talk sections are great though.

Us pike anglers are a bit of a rougher breed in general I think. It’s a rough crude way of fishing that certainly dictates a state of mind not suited to everyone. Freezing cold days, stinky oily baits, and if your lucky you’ll get your fair share of raker rash across your knuckles…😜

On a red letter day you might even need a stitch or two 🤣

Last edited:
Having spent my life feathering and feeling the rig down from my younger years of carping i don’t think i’ve used an automatic bail arm for years. Only time i can think of was my early teens spinning for pike but that’s 20 years ago.

Back