• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bahamas or Florida Keys

Paul Garner

Since we seem to be talking holliday fishing, planning on heading down to one or the other of these, probably in early May.

Would really like to try some fly fishing for Bonefish. Going with the wife so not a serious fishing holliday but have permission to get a day or two in :)

I don't have a clue where to go or what to take, or even if that is a good time of year to go? So any pointers that anybody could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Have a look at and join some of the American fishing forums, you will defo get some good advice.

Key west is fantastic

There have been some major fish kills in Florida due to the cold weather, bonefish,snook and tarpon definately taken a bashing!Worth checking with skippers etc, not heard of any problems in the Bahamas, which sound like the best bet for bones!
peter

I was in the florida keys 2 years ago and the bonefish were very scarce then, I ended up with a nice barracuda during my day trip with a few smaller jacks and had one tarpon but had to go out at night after it, thats all I was allowed fishing wise by the boss.

Paul, try this link for information, you'll have to trawl through a lot of threads but there is some good gen. http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The cold winter 2009-2010 had a devastating effect on the inshore fishing in northern Florida, i.e. north of Naples/Fort Lauderdale. Snook, sea trout and baitfish were very badly affected, redfish seemingly less so but the survivors had less to feed on.
Last September/October when I was there bait was very hard to find and I never saw a sign of snook, the previous year the beaches were full of bait and snook.

The Keys/Bahamas weren't as badly affected by the cold, if it's bones you want I think the Bahamas is the better option.

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of the fish kills in Florida, will take some time to read through those links later.

Thanks again
Paul

Back