• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Back to Fishing after a break

James Brothers

Hello there, due to kids turning into teens and a change in work circumstances I have found the time to come back to fishing. I actually live next to the Grand Union Canal in Harefield so have caught a few carp and pike outside my front door to keep my hand in but I’ve decided that river fishing is more for me. Before I temporarily put away my gear about 4 years ago I was a keen carp angler, but the appeal of a 48 hour session taking a barrow full of stuff has worn off and walking a river with the minimum necessary is much more appealing. I’ve been reading this forum for the last few weeks and have learnt a great deal, so this weekend I decided to join and next week I shall hopefully be joining Uxbridge Rovers. Cheers!

Hello there, due to kids turning into teens and a change in work circumstances I have found the time to come back to fishing. I actually live next to the Grand Union Canal in Harefield so have caught a few carp and pike outside my front door to keep my hand in but I’ve decided that river fishing is more for me. Before I temporarily put away my gear about 4 years ago I was a keen carp angler, but the appeal of a 48 hour session taking a barrow full of stuff has worn off and walking a river with the minimum necessary is much more appealing. I’ve been reading this forum for the last few weeks and have learnt a great deal, so this weekend I decided to join and next week I shall hopefully be joining Uxbridge Rovers. Cheers!
Nothing against Uxbridge rovers and they are more or less on your doorstep but the Colne has been severely Ottered and is suffering from rampant abstraction too.
You're not that far from the Verulam AC waters, fantastic river fishing on the upper Lea, Fishers Green lower down, the Ivel and the Ouse.
Worth considering.

Paul, James,there is a lot of bad press about the Colne, about it being Ottered,fish being stolen and abstraction. Yes the numbers are down on some sections ( mainly below Uxbridge ). I am a Fishery manager for Uxbridge rovers and have not seen one fin damaged barbel last season. We did see an Otter last October but within two days it was run over outside the country park Offices .We have not seen any since and are looking hard. Last season we stocked 160 Barbel to add to the gene pool lots of these fish were 3lb+. We have a publicity ban so i cannot publish photos but can assure you there be monsters around too (pm James). Last winter we also had lots of 6lb chub caught,we do not get the monster chub of a few years ago. There seems to be a good year class coming through some will go over 7lb this winter. If you fish for them properly you will catch.

"We did see an Otter last October but within two days it was run over outside the country park Offices ."
LOL Mark, that's a real tragedy.

I was told by someone ITK that a certain few water bailiffs have controlled the Otter problem on their waters by a mixture of Sardines a nail and 30 odd Paracetamol.
Of course I told him Otter are protected and any such actions could lead to prosecution.

Nothing against Uxbridge rovers and they are more or less on your doorstep but the Colne has been severely Ottered and is suffering from rampant abstraction too.
You're not that far from the Verulam AC waters, fantastic river fishing on the upper Lea, Fishers Green lower down, the Ivel and the Ouse.
Worth considering.
Hi Paul, my girlfriend lives in Wheathampstead about 5 mins from Marford Farm. I did consider Verulam but like you say Uxbridge isn’t on the doorstop

A genuine run over Otter , 2 were also road kill last season on the lower Colne. They were removed by our EA area man and autopsied. If they are poisoned, shot or drowned it will show up. Dogs are walked off the lead on the country park ,every season we witness dogs chasing deer, they do not last long. It did worry me and i reported it to the authorities but suspect an Otter would also be classed as prey and attacked, I am now more tolerant for that reason. Our Bailiffs also have very handy working dogs, PM Paul some of the better fish.

Back