• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baby milk

Luke Ayling

After making up my daughters bottles,it got me thinking..
Has anybody ever used baby milk powder in thier boilie mixes

Luke

Breast is best Luke.....:rolleyes:

Hi men,

Yes mate , years ago when I really mucked around with bait ingredients . Too much and it made the baits expand and spongy , also trouble with buoyancy , along the lines of using to much cassinate .

Hatter

I don't think you would gain anything by using baby milk, which vitamealo or lamlac or similar wouldn't give you, at probably half the price. :)

No, I thought of something, baby milk is easier to purchase as you can get if from supermarket etc. That's the only benefit I can think of.

Yes and try explaining that to your missus when the baby is screaming the house down as there is no milk left, but your sneaking out the door with 300 boilies in your rucksack.

Let me introduce you to another concept. Possessions in black bag at end of driveway :D

Tried Puppy Milk in a boilie mix once and had some good fish on the Hants Avon! For some reason despite having had success I changed to another bait:confused:

Hello Luke
I have been using SMA, for years, in a paste I make with ⅓ each of SMA, Ovaltine, and Horlicks. Add eggs and stiffen up with some flour . Have never tried it for barbel, however have had Carp, Tench, & Bream first time out with no pre baiting. It can be a bit sticky but it works.

I've used the follow on milk powder from cow n gate and aptimil - didn't get to try the early stages stuff, like John says, breast is best! As others have mentioned, like any milk protien, it needs some roughage added to balance the mix otherwise it ends up a bit rubbery.

luke, using it but not too much can inhance your bait, yes it works for barbel
horror horror i used it with fishmeals to good effect as well;)

I made up a horrendous paste about 10 years ago which included baby milk, liquidised seafood (mussels, shrimps etc), birdfood and monster crab flavour. It was foul but I had a good few fish off the Kennet on it. Thankfully I don't have any baby milk in the house anymore, my eldest has just turned 11. Couple more years and he'll be working, and I can put my feet up. Dream on !

Nick C

Hi Nick hope your keeping well mate, it still seems strange NHD aint around
i keep half expecting him to turn up when i get a chance to fish the thames,
11 years eh it only seems like last year when we took that look around the colne at WD :)...j.w

been using it in its varying forms since the early 80's for my milk protein and bood food recipes for my carp angling. a balanced boilie with protein, carbohydrates, fat/oil, fishmeal, is best. still use the fish meal in autumn/winter. .small pellets are the way to go on my local tidal trent, with maggots and casters when its clear. :)

Back