• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BAA Membership.

Chris Allcock

Afternoon all. Are there any baa members on here?
Right, I have paid for my baa membership. And according to the chap on the phone I'm not going to get my card until next week. Which has the gate code on. Allegedly he said he can't tell me the code over the phone even though I have proof of my payment. He said do I know any other baa members and could I ask them for it. If anybody has the gate code for this season and could pm it to me? I would be eternally grateful. Like I said I have the payment proof email.
Many thanks.

Right, I have paid for my baa membership. And according to the chap on the phone I'm not going to get my card until next week. Which has the gate code on. Allegedly he said he can't tell me the code over the phone even though I have proof of my payment. He said do I know any other baa members and could I ask them for it. If anybody has the gate code for this season and could pm it to me? I would be eternally grateful. Like I said I have the payment proof email.
Many thanks.
PM sent Chris

It's a common complaint @Chris Allcock. It used to be worse as you were not allowed to fish until you'd actually received your card through the post, and during partial lockdown (when hundreds applied to join but issuance of club cards was restricted) new member were moaning like hell. Even though I've been a BAA bailiff for many years I must admit that the club still has a 20th century mentality (a bit like a 'Working Man's Club' IMO).

Getting a night ticket is such an antiquated system on BAA
What does it entail to obtain such a privilege?🤔 I can imagine it is very longwinded, if it goes anything by the conversation I had with the chap on the phone earlier. I was only asking for the gate code..... you'd of thought I was asking for the code and keys to fort knox it's self. Nevermind he didn't want to break his moral code.🤭🤣

What does it entail to obtain such a privilege?🤔 I can imagine it is very longwinded, if it goes anything by the conversation I had with the chap on the phone earlier. I was only asking for the gate code..... you'd of thought I was asking for the code and keys to fort knox it's self. Nevermind he didn't want to break his moral code.🤭🤣
Well if you're thinking of fishing the Teme at Eardiston I wouldn't worry ...someone's sawn the lock off the gate there :eek:

You have to book in advance and give enough time for them to send you the ticket in the post. Unless you go up to the office which is only open 10-2 I think. The problem is sometimes you have the intention to go but things can change and if you’ve already paid your tenner then your screwed. Wasn’t so bad when it was only a fiver a night

The whole BAA administration system is in need of an update I think, night tickets, memberships. The forum also, is home to several trolling lunatics, ask Mr Smart!!!

At 40 quid though, any Midland angler would be mad not to have one.
So true John, but every season we do it because as you say be mad not to. The forum is as antiquated as their admin, how they can operate an analog forum and office procedures in 2021is truly breath taking. They do to be fair, post out the membership 1st class asap, but what a waste of revenue when that could be computerised via email?
However a lot of other angling clubs are the same, requiring stamped addressed envelopes and hand written applications lol

Many thanks.
The chap most certainly would have been the Hon Sec John Williams, next time you speak to him explain your concerns, and let us know how you get on.

The chap most certainly would have been the Hon Sec John Williams, next time you speak to him explain your concerns, and let us know how you get on.
Mr. Williams appears to delight in being as stubborn and unhelpful as possible. I have had more than one conversation with him, none of them remotely positive. I'm afraid he's keeping the club in the dark ages and treats it as his personal little fifedom.

Is it just me and am I missing something or is the whole 1hr after sunset rule a complete bag of b0ll0cks? You can fish til 10.30pm tonight, yet in January you have to be off the water by 5pm🤯
This is where the no night fishing rule is so confusing. Nobody would call 4.30 on a December afternoon "night time" but many clubs insist if you need a torch you shouldn't be fishing. Ridiculous. Much more common sense to say up till eleven thirty or midnight from June to September and up to 9.00 p.m after that. That way nobody is there all night but the often productive dusk and early darkness don't have to be missed.

Is it just me and am I missing something or is the whole 1hr after sunset rule a complete bag of b0ll0cks? You can fish til 10.30pm tonight, yet in January you have to be off the water by 5pm🤯
This is what bugs me. If the land owners are happy for you to be there til 10:30 in June why not later in the year. I personally think they should change it so that it’s 10:30 June til end of October then 8:30 October til March. Worst thing is 10:30 this time of year is the the best time to be fishing.
I think there argument is that they don’t want their bailiffs bailiffing in the dark

This is what bugs me. If the land owners are happy for you to be there til 10:30 in June why not later in the year. I personally think they should change it so that it’s 10:30 June til end of October then 8:30 October til March. Worst thing is 10:30 this time of year is the the best time to be fishing.
I think there argument is that they don’t want their bailiffs bailiffing in the dark
If you ever attended a (say, BAA) bailiff's meeting you'd see that the average age there is somewhere over 55, with many over 65. In my experience, many if not most night fisher are under 40, and often go accompanied by their mates. So clubs ask bailiffs to patrol in pairs at night, as even during the day it can sometimes get a bit iffy. Really iffy at times. If there were more bailiffs, and they were younger/fitter guys who were willing and able to commit to patrolling at night, then there'd be a better chance of rules being changed. But even then, those that want rules to be changed would have to get themselves organised and actually attend AGMs.
Organising, attending, proposing, seconding, voting might work ...but unfortunately just complaining won't.

Back