• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

avon scales

David Pearce

hi guys.
i was after a set of decent scales and didnt really know what to go for. digital or the dial type.
so in the end i went for a new set of avon mk 7 scales of ebay for £20 because they seemed a good price.
i have been told they retail at about £50. does anyone have a set of these and did i make the right choice or should i have gone for some digitals.

You should have gone for the Fox digitals. My mate's got some and they've brought him nothing but luck - every Barbel's a 14lb'er and he's had a 5lb Roach :)

Seriously, I've had some Avon Scales for a few years and they're pretty good. After months of inactivity, they come out of the bag and still work - no rust or anything!

Dave...get a dedicate case for them and a silica gel bag to keep moisture at bay and they'll give you years of use...Mine date back to 1969 and cost £5-19-6d [£5.97.5p] !!
They still zero nicely and return to the same point when weighing finished, more than I can say for a set of Lightweights I bought last year..I've never had them offically checked but have occassionally tested them against product of a known weight which have been weighed on calibrated equipment....That say's it all, the reason I bought the lightweights was the Avons are a little on the heavy side but I'll bin the lightweights before I bin the Avons.....

David,
My mate and I both purchased some Rapala digi scales last year, as the avons are heavier to carry around.
Last week he landed a large Chub and weighed it at 7.2 then asked me to pop over to his swim to take a photo.
When I arrived in his swim he wanted to prove to me its weight and re weighed the chub and guess what the weight dropped to 5.6 then 6.4 then 6.12. Now he wasnt pleased as he had fitted a new battery prior to the trip and checked the scales were working.
I had my rapala scales with me and again the weights were very inconsistent changing with every attempt.
We both agreed to go back to the avons as they are always accurate and although they are no longer in manufacture getting them checked and certified is easy enough.
The avon scale company still exist and have a works in Noth london nr tottenham (details on google) if you need recalibration and a certificate of accuracy

Alan

I've had a set of avons for years and they have always been accurate and in good working order. I used them last week for the first time in about three years. The were still in good nick, the only problem was they weighed the certain double at 9lb exactly! More likely to be my shoddy guestimate but I will double test them before my next trip out just in case.

Cheers
martin

Dont think you can beat them.
I played with a set of flyweights last season and a good double which was very lively in the sling broke the spring:(
Contacted the company and had no response.
Gone back to the avons since:)

The only issue I`ve ever had with Avons is getting them to zero. Gave up trying years ago and now just adjust the scales (with the sling on) to the nearest ounce and weigh the fish `less 8`, `less 6` or whatever it`s `zeroed` on. So, scales read 9.14 (I wish!) on a `less 6` and the true weight is 9.08.

I check them regularly against a set of Post Office scales and they`re within half an ounce through the range I need.

Lovely scales and can`t see myself using anything else.

does anyone know where i can get a case from for these avons?
i cant seem to find anything on the Net.
many thanks dave

Dave...Bought myself a new case only this week...e bay

Bill

Last edited:
Sorry Dave...just been back on and noticed that the listing has ended....not supprised..£1.99 + £1 postage !!!

Back