• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Avon scales of London 40lb scales

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
Avon scales of London 40lb scales in very good condition clear dial and working correctly. Great oldskool dial scales.
£28 posted

Attachments

• 20200317_170941.jpg
    20200317_170941.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 471
  • 20200317_170920.jpg
    20200317_170920.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 549
  • 20200317_170903.jpg
    20200317_170903.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 252
Now £25 posted

Sold

Clive , I know you sell quite a few of these scales. Is there any way of cleaning up the dials on them ? Thanks in advance wayne

Clive , I know you sell quite a few of these scales. Is there any way of cleaning up the dials on them ? Thanks in advance wayne
Yes
I take mine apart every year and give them a good clean inside and out. The whole front can be removed exposing the face an pointer

You can sand the dial with fine sandpaper then polish with either plastic polish or an abrasive toothpaste or alternatively just the abrasive toothpaste.

I’d be very careful about going near the dial with abrasive paper of any description. I assume the part your referring too is the plastic window on the front and not the actual dial underneath.
if your going to try removing scratches practice on something like a piece of Perspex first.
very fine wet 2500 grit very lightly circular motion to start with which will blend out fine scratches but completely dull off the face then use a polishing compound to buff it up then use some standard polish. If your referring to the actual dial under this cover then I’d say leave it well alone.
if your not removing scratches then simply clean it up with a damp or standard polish. You can take it apart and do the inside too. I can’t emphasise enough to practice on something else first before attempting to buff out scratches

I've done it quite a few times and I can bring them back to near new thats even using very abrasive paper to start.

The plastic dial

Another easy way, one which is used by watchmakers to clean clock dials, is to use plain Brasso, or toothpaste, just rub it on the scratched surface using a soft cloth and it will come up gleaming bright and scratch free, after a bit of work,no risk of deeper scratching by using abrasive paper, to finish off if needed, ( it wont be, but this also works) is to splash a few drops of brasso onto a piece of cardboard and go over the dial again. The cardboard seems to give it an even brighter clean finish.
We used to "card " our brasses on our belt buckles this way when I was in the Army about two hundred years ago.

David

Back