• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Avon Mk7 Scales.

Adrian Cole

Hi

I was thinking of keeping my eye out for a set of these on eBay going cheap. I take it they are still reasonable today as they used to be the mutts nuts in the mid 70's.

I also wondered if they could be calibrated? I am sure you appreciate that any scales get knocked about a bit and whilst I am sure there will be no record breaking fish coming my way I would like to know they are somewhere near the mark.

thanks

Adie

Adrian, I use Avons still, managed to pick up a brand new set in 2003 before they stopped doing them, kept them in case since and they are good. I check them with various sugar bags every season and they haven't changed yet but they can easilly be calibrated, not sure who does them these days but someone must..........

Hi Adrian get in touch with your local Trading standards office and they will be able to tell where you can get them calibrated

Thanks for the information guys. Its nice to know they are still regarded as a good scale and possible to calibrate.

Thanks again

Cheers

Adie

Take a look at the 'service' option on their website.
Sadly, currently unavailable but made me smile! :)

Andy, they are pretty accurate yes, I check them on my kitchen electronic salter scales first and they are normally pretty spot on..............

Not rocket science but it would allow me to notice if the scales had gone drastically wrong.........butchers weights are better

eddie new member, well we knew that avon scales were reconised as the scales to weigh our fish, so which scales are reconised as the scales to use now, cos we got fox, reuben, salter, koala, etc etc list goes on, so which one will bfw reconised as the scales
to use on our weighing our fish, ???????? eddie

Avons - Excellent scales. Mine are years old & taken a right battering, been bottomed out to point where the hook semi straightened out. Calibrated them against weighed particle via kitchen scales & still bang on after all this time. Was hoping that they would be weighing on the light side - no such luck

Back