• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Avon and Severn

Hello everyone, new member here. I was planning a trip to either the Warks Avon or the Severn this weekend and I hear that both rivers are in flood. Are there any stretches on either river where I might still be able to catch? (either Chub or Barbel). Thanks in advance and tight lines to those of you that are out on the banks.

Is the Avon in flood? Not according to the charts it's not. I would say a roving approach on the Avon might be the way to go, with that you will need good access to the river, try somewhere like Bidford on Avon to Marcliff, plenty of fishable pegs to go at. Park at either Bidford or Marcliff.

Is the Avon in flood? Not according to the charts it's not. I would say a roving approach on the Avon might be the way to go, with that you will need good access to the river, try somewhere like Bidford on Avon to Marcliff, plenty of fishable pegs to go at. Park at either Bidford or Marcliff.
Cheers, Neil, thanks for that, I've fished Bidford a number of times this season and blanked every time but having said that I haven't adopted the roving approach. I'll be sure to do some this visit though.

Cheers, Neil, thanks for that, I've fished Bidford a number of times this season and blanked every time but having said that I haven't adopted the roving approach. I'll be sure to do some this visit though.
I know Barbel are at a premium anywhere Steve, but there's some cracking Perch to be had, I take the fish for anything approach at the minute, with normally a maggot feeder, really is great fun. Good luck if you go. Also a bank high Severn Stoke is worthy of consideration if you are going all out Barbel...;)

Alas, Steve, blanking multiple times on most rivers is par for the course nowadays. I don't know the Warks. Avon at all, having said that. Have a look at the River Reports, too, for further insights.

Alas, Steve, blanking multiple times on most rivers is par for the course nowadays. I don't know the Warks. Avon at all, having said that. Have a look at the River Reports, too, for further insights.
Many thanks for your reply Richard, I'm not surprised that catches are down right now, during my last three outings I've spotted otters either directly in my swim, or very close by and although I haven't seen any carcasses I'm pretty sure they've had a direct impact on our fish stocks.
I did manage to land a nice chub last weekend though which beats a dry session.

I know Barbel are at a premium anywhere Steve, but there's some cracking Perch to be had, I take the fish for anything approach at the minute, with normally a maggot feeder, really is great fun. Good luck if you go. Also a bank high Severn Stoke is worthy of consideration if you are going all out Barbel...;)
Hi Neil, yes, I agree with your comment and I have been going for a catch what you can approach recently, a few chub over my past three outings (which is great) and my best mate has had two barbel to the five-pound mark so they are there :)

Water temps appear on here for the Severn on the Severn thread (Sid Croft), and on Facebook (River Rats etc). There's no official site that provides them, only individuals who check it themselves, and kindly share info.

Water temps appear on here for the Severn on the Severn thread (Sid Croft), and on Facebook (River Rats etc). There's no official site that provides them, only individuals who check it themselves, and kindly share info.
I misunderstood, i thought you meant you can check the water temps on the web-site you provided.

Thanks Terry.

Back