• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

autumn and winter

David Pearce

hi guys.
could anyone please explain to me the right and wrong times to be out in autumn and winter. and the conditions i should be looking for.
i have never done that much barbel fishing in the winter and intend to fish the whole year this season.
any help would be really appreciated.
regards dave

i always think in winter, muddy high water, falling, a warm spell after a cold snap.
unlike last winter when it was cold all winter.

totally agree with colin,winter barbeling can some times be small windows of oppurtunity,
sometimes though if you get that gut feeling,get out there.you wont catch anything sat at home watching tv.just make sure you are warm dry and comfortable and you will stay there longer,which will increase your chances greatly..

luke

For my money the most important factor in winter is temperature trend, holding steady, possibly rising, go for it. Falling rapidly, despite high water conditions, little chance.But you can never say for sure, having caught when everything is wrong, and blanked when all the positives were there, confidence and location can tip the balance in your favour.
peter

just get out there would be the best bet.
i do think waiting for the perfect day, you could be missing out.

Not much I can add to the first two posts. A warm spell after a prolonged freeze can be a bit of a disastern initially, if the road gritters have been out a lot, chucking salt everywhere for the duration. The resulting brew that washes into the rivers puts 'em off for a bit :(

Otherwise...water temperatures steady or rising, river high and coloured, but falling, big smelly bait...sorted :D

I am sure you will get some more definitive answers shortly.

Cheers, Dave.

PS

You can see how long it takes me to type...there were only two replies when I started...what am i like?

Last edited:
Not much I can add to the first two posts. A warm spell after a prolonged freeze can be a bit of a disastern initially, if the road gritters have been out a lot, chucking salt everywhere for the duration. The resulting brew that washes into the rivers puts 'em off for a bit :(

Otherwise...water temperatures steady or rising, river high and coloured, but falling, big smelly bait...sorted :D

I am sure you will get some more definitive answers shortly.

Cheers, Dave.

PS

You can see how long it takes me to type...there were only two replies when I started...what am i like?
but falling, big smelly bait...sorted :D
QUOTE...
or a small bait like maggots in clear cold conditions.

Or get out the chub gear and the cheesepaste:rolleyes:

just get out there would be the best bet.
i do think waiting for the perfect day, you could be missing out.

Absolutley spot on for me mate! I have been waiting ages for conditions to become'ideal' so i can make my annual trip to Bewdley from London. All the while people have been catching Barbel and i haven't! Gonna go in a couple of weeks.

For me Barbel fishing is even more predictable during winter, best time of year to be on the river imo.

Last edited:
Assuming you are fishing the Severn, keep an eye on the Severn thread, Cronky usually posts regular river temperatures throughout the winter ... and has become a god amongst Severn winter barbellers! My experience has been anything under 7 or 8 degrees is usually hard going, though the trend can make a difference. But a big, smelly bait down the side in a lovely warm flood ...oooh, nice!

when you get -7 at night for long periods, it's really dos the fishing no favours.

Hi men ,

All above is spot on , temps can be used as a guide , but often dont coincide with the times when you can get out :D. My mate turns to breadcrust in realy cold conditions , an underused bait ;).

Hatter

their was a article in the CAT mag about wetbread for barbel and it's a killer for chub, esp, cheese bread...yum
and it was the colne.

If all else fails go down your local have a few pints and talk alot of nonsense,return home with a nice indian take away and decent bottle of red to ease it all down.....sorted !!!!

if i waited until conditions were perfect i'd never probably go, especially as i travel a fair distance to fish. so i take baits and tackle for chub and barbel , one should be ok whatever the weather, plus you never know.

Diversification is the way forward as mentioned above. Autumn and Winter are the best time of year for all of the following: Barbel, Chub, Perch and Pike. Get yourself onto the rivers evey weekend....the conditions will be right for one of them!

Last edited:
Back