• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Arpino Rods, anybody!

One man operation (Adrian Arpino), used to build lure and carp rods primarily, along with repairs. If i remember rightly he was somewhere around heathrow and worked from his garden shed.

Blanks could be anything from the 90's/00's.

One man operation (Adrian Arpino), used to build lure and carp rods primarily, along with repairs. If i remember rightly he was somewhere around heathrow and worked from his garden shed.

Blanks could be anything from the 90's/00's.

Yep, west London area.
Mate of mine had a couple built, early 90's i think??

He last worked in a unit at the garden centre in Stanwell Moor. Unfortunately I believe he developed some sort of lung condition brought on by the dust created when rubbing down the blanks and had to retire. I have a number of rods either built or renovated by him and they are excellent.

Built by Micheal Bentine perchance ?!!

You have to be a certain age to know that one Simon. Recently two lads working at a London hotel said to me "i cannot understand why Bob (their boss) keeps calling us Pinkey and Perky",i nearly died laughing,and pointed them to Youtube. About 20 years ago Adrian used to make top quality hand built rods to order,on the lines of Seer rods, the finishing was top notch.

Bill and Bens' best mate was Weed....weed in a potty....perhaps that 'sheds' some light on this...or is that taking the Michael :D

Cheers, Dave.

You have to be a certain age to know that one Simon. Recently two lads working at a London hotel said to me "i cannot understand why Bob (their boss) keeps calling us Pinkey and Perky",i nearly died laughing,and pointed them to Youtube. About 20 years ago Adrian used to make top quality hand built rods to order,on the lines of Seer rods, the finishing was top notch.

Spot on Mark,
one of the best in his day.
Someone will get some very nice rods, but i doubt they will be cheap.....;)

Hi all,

I just had this email from Adrian Arpino's daughter:

Hello,

My sister came across a forum thread regarding 'Arpino' fishing rods and there was some discussion regarding the origin of and the man that had made them.

His name was Adrian Arpino and he was my father, he hand made these rods with his wife Susan for a number of years in a small workshop in Ashford.

Unfortunately a few years ago Adrian discovered that he had a respiratory disease called Dyskeratosis Congenitas and he passed away on September the 13th 2011.

Fishing and family were his life and I thought it would be nice to pass this information on to the people who were saying such nice things about the rods that he was very proud of.

All the best,
Cherri Arpino

Nice post....I can recall Arpino rods from the past and also that they were well spoken of around the Carp syndicates of the 80's and 90's.

Paul

Thanks Andy for posting that,please wish our best to Cheri Arpino and the family, RIP Adrian,you are not forgotten.I remember Adrian saying that one of his employee's(i think it was a lady) could whip a rod ring on in 15 seconds,with the equipment they used,he was very proud of her speed and quality work, takes me about 10 minutes to do a reasonable job. Its also nice to see his rods are still in demand.

Nice to hear from Cherri.

I visited Adrian a few times in his shop that by then was in the garden centre near Heathrow.

I had one of his rods and he aslo refurbished 2 more for me. One I still have with his sticker on.

He was also involved with a company (Heathrow baits?) that sold on the premises.

Great man, always time for a chat. I did hear he was poorly.

Quite right to feel proud of your Dad. Good man.

Graham

Back