• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Argulus fish lice a major problem?

Tim Lennon

Hi all,
every barbel I've caught from the Wye so far this season has had some level of infestation of Argulus fish lice. I've done a quick google and it seems that they can cause serious health problems to fish, although I haven't found any information about what long term effect they could have in a river system.

Anyone know how serious a problem this could be?

Have you come across it in any other rivers (I haven't)?

Should anglers attempt to remove the lice and treat the underlying wound?

Could anything else be done to solve the problem?

regards,
Tim

The fish in the lower Ribble are covered in them at the moment.Only a few on the Barbel but the Roach and Trout ive had have been bad:(

And on the middle reaches John - the fish i caught the other day had a few on them. You can actually see a couple on the fish in the home page pic.
picture.php

Dont know much about them or if the EA can or would do anything about them.The Barbel i had this morning had them but only 1/2.

The Chub and the Barbel on the Wye have then some quite heavily infested. I remove all of them with artery forceps and any area which look like it's been damaged I treat with Friars Balsam. The lice I leave on the rocks to die (hopefully). They do tend to congregate behind the dorsal fin and on the pectorals but have found them on the Caudal fin too.

Brian

On some rivers/stretches of river, they can be associated with a lower water quality. As they are parasites and suck blood, the wounds left can lead to secondary infections especially if the water quality is lower, which can be caused by a more concentrated sewage effluent and other ****/chemical discharges in slower low flow conditions. If the fish becomes infested with them, which does happen as experienced on the River Lea back in the 1980's, to where it can lower lower the fishes immune system leaving them 'at risk' and open to other diseases and infections.

Last edited:
Yes, but be prepared.
In wild fish like a barbel, Argulus can/should be mechanically removed with a pair of tweezers.
Just a few quotes and additions:
“Argulus will multiply and attach to the fish, burrowing in slightly through the scales/skin so they can feed off the fish. They feed by inserting its sharp straw-like tube (proboscis) into the fish, injecting digestive enzymes (similar to a spider!) and then sucking out the liquefied flesh. This causes great irritation to the fish, and may cause secondary dangerous bacterial infections. The harm comes from major tissue damage (that can cause scarring) or as a secondary infection. The fish will also become very irritated and stressed, and susceptible to other parasites and disease.”
Argulus detest ‘dry’ areas so they obviously slide/move around on the protective slime of the fish. Drying the infected area with a piece of tissue should cause the Arugulas to release itself/jump off.
In my opinion, after removing the fixed Arugulas, treat the wound area (which may only be tiny) with a dab of Friars Balsam or other which will kill any possible further infection and will seal and protect the wound for a while, and it should heal.
The neat Friars Balsam may also kill the Arugulas directly if dabbed, but not sure of this.
Remember, don’t keep the barbel out of the water too long on removing Argulus and treating!
Keep returning the captive barbel to the water to recover in the landing net after a short period of treatment and then have another go later if the fish is ok.
You will certainly be helping the fish and probably save its life if heavily infested.

Last edited:
of the 'few' barbel & chub ive caught up to now on the severn, one or two have been covered in them. i have been told its due to the fish not moving around much. also why its been a slow start to the season

Back