• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Arghh another camera thread canon G5

Adam Ditchburn

Just a quick bit of advice, I have been offered a Canon G5 in mint condition, with case, 2 batteries, cables,discs, remote and original box for £50.00.

Is this worthwhile buying or should I go further up the "g" series ladder for ease of use etc or a better model?, I am not worried about 5mp. I am not clued up cameras so any advice would be welcome.

Cheers in advance

Hello, I have one of these and they are excellent and the price you have been quoted is, in my opinion, excellent too. I wouldn't worry too much about the 5mp as more than adequate for standard size printing. The quality of lens [on this camera] makes a big difference. Nice swivel round screen for lining up self-takes too. Fairly compact (for an older style digital) and lots of manual functions if you like to dabble. Infra-red remote reliable and fairly easy to use (I hold in hand of tail end of fish - and swivel it out of view once pressing (you have a 2 second delay before pic))...hope this helps.

One of the best fishing camera going in my opinion. So much so that when mine went bellyup after years of abuse I repaced it with another from eBay and that cost me £70.

Thanks to Bryan and Brian

I received it today in great condition, even got a lexar pro 133x thrown in, it's built like a tank, been practicing already (around the garden).

Got the remote control timer now to 10 seconds so that should give me more time as and when I need to take a picture with a decent fish....it won't be out the bag much then.

Cheers again

Excellent, you got a good deal there. The weak point on these cameras is the lense mechanism if you get dirt in there and it jams or damage it in some way the camera is basically a right off so be careful, that's what happened to mine on a damp muddy night on the Trent.

If you want to REALLY nack a camera up in double quick time, try sea water....you can see the metal parts going rusty as you watch on some of them :D

Having said that, cameras do seem to be a bit better in that respect nowadays. More of a problem now is all the plastic, and some of that doesn't appreciate contact with chemicals...sun cream being one of the everyday things that can upset certain types....which doesn't bode well for some holiday compacts etc :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Looking at the G5 it looks pretty much bullet proof but they are an electronic device, another major injury to a camera came about on the banks of the Wye with my brother.

Me

" Don't put the camera on the ground mate you will stand on it"

Brother

" Do you think I am stupid"

Yes he is

Back