• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are you a Backwinder or a Drag-artist?

I use a 'pin 100% of the time and kind of feel that when a fish takes line, and the fish is a biggie, I have no choice but to give it - or my thumb will start smokin'! I'd hazard a guess that it happens at almost the same moment when using a clutch on a fixed-spool and the fish takes line. And......I'd hazard a guess that it's almost at the same moment when a back-winder 'feels' that turning the handle in the opposite direction might stop the fish either breaking off, or the hook pulling. Or am I over-simplifying it?

I use a 'pin 100% of the time and kind of feel that when a fish takes line, and the fish is a biggie, I have no choice but to give it - or my thumb will start smokin'! I'd hazard a guess that it happens at almost the same moment when using a clutch on a fixed-spool and the fish takes line. And......I'd hazard a guess that it's almost at the same moment when a back-winder 'feels' that turning the handle in the opposite direction might stop the fish either breaking off, or the hook pulling. Or am I over-simplifying it?

Switching between pins and fixed spool reels, I doubt it. I've always found I'm a lot more conservative when playing a fish on a pin. Whilst it's hard to be definitive without someone timing you, I'm convinced that I take longer to land fish on the pin.

I purchased a pair of Shimano's on here a few years ago. One of the clutches was a bit sticky so I sent them for service. On return I was told the clutch washers were very dry. They advised me to always back the clutch right off after a days fishing and set it again when I am next on the bank. This way the clutch retains its smooth action.
A tiny little dot of graphite powder on those washers once a year soon sorts them out.
I used to do it to my old 5010’s and the clutch , despite being a rear adjustable clutch it was incredibly smooth. Yeah rear drags should be backed off really, If nothing else it just lets the compression off and relax the washers.

Front drag on the new Shimano Stradic's is so go, there is no anti-reverse.

This is a big problem for Shimano, the way they are naming reels is way too convoluted. There's no such thing as just a plain Stradic reel. There are currently four different Stradics in their catalogue The Stradic Ci4+ FB, Stradic Ci4+ RA, Stradic FL and Stradic GTM RC. The Stradic Ci4+ (which I suspect you'll be referring to) does not have an anti-reverse switch. The Stradic Ci4+ and Stradic GTM RC most definitely do have an anti-reverse switch. I've never handled a Stradic FL, but I suspect that one won't have the anti-reverse.

Chris, if it's any consolation, i think the older, white ones, are better made than the new ones...

The original Stradic GTMs are more weighty and solid feeling. The newest Stradic Ci4+ RA is a better reel. I've no idea what the more direct modern equivalent, the Stradic GTM RC, is like. However, it's quite a bit cheaper than the original was in its heyday. The Stradic Ci4+ FB is a nice little reel, provided you don't object to the lack of anti-reverse switch.

Chris, if it's any consolation, i think the older, white ones, are better made than the new ones...
I always Preferred the older Japanese stradics and gtms over the newer ones too. I’d imagine the quality is probably as good as it was but the older versions just felt and ran nicer I thought.

Back