• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are targets important?

Keith Speer

Hi Chaps

I must admit, I never just “Go fishing†these days, I always have an objective in mind and I don't just go with the idea that I will try and catch my target species, I always have to have a “minimum requirementâ€, that might be trying to catch a Barbel where there are few, or it might be a realistic size compared with the average size of fish found on that venue, whichever it is, I set a target and plan my session around that target.

Obviously, most days I fail, sometimes that failure is spectacular, sometimes not, but even if I do fail, I find the day worthwhile if I learn something.

I try and make my targets realistic, after all, you cannot get a pb every time you set a rod up and if that were the case I would probably take up another hobby, but I do try and make it a bit difficult, sometimes, in fact, often, the fishing gods conspire against me, for example, a hundred mile drive to a premier Roach fishery with carefully prepared bait can be banjaxed in an instant by a hard local frost, but even on those occasions I still try to make the best of it.

Today I visited a local fishery, I did not get there until mid day and to be fair 3 days of heavy frost and a recent drop in temperature did not fill me with hope, but today I had the bait, the time and the inclination so I decided to try and make the best of it.
As I suspected 3 days of heavy frost had banged the colour out of the river, it was not quite as clear as tap-water (St Albans tap-water that is, I have seen some fairly dirty tap-water in other parts of the world), but it was very clear and the deeper swims had all been taken, on the bright side it was not too bright, so I set up feeling that I had half a chance.
My target today was to be Roach and my objective was to try and catch a fish of over a pound, this was a fairly easy target as the Roach in this water go to over 3lb, but these big fish are difficult at the best of times, so if I could get a few of over a pound I would have been a happy chap.

I had plenty of bait, I had about three pints of Caster and five pints of Maggots left over from a trip to the Itchen on Saturday (first day of the heavy frost), so I didn't use much and a friend had given me his left over bait which was good of him, the Maggot I can save and use later, but the Caster would need careful maintenance so I decided to kick off with Caster and see if that would do the trick.
Caster can work well in clear water, but cold and clear usually points to the Maggot, but as I like to be frugal if possible, I went straight on to the Caster.

My swim was about 3ft deep, with an over hanging reed bed about 8-10yds downstream, the bottom is clean gravel, which shallowed slightly just down from the reed bed, it is a known Roach peg, but it is also a known Barbel peg too.
I set up my 12ft Microlite with an Okuma pin loaded with 0.13mm (4lb 12oz) main line, my hook-length was Preston Exceed 0.12mm (3.1lb) to a size 16 hook and I decided that a Dave Harrel 6 x No4 wire stem stick would do the trick.

To start I fed about 6 Casters every 30 seconds or so, while I had a cup of tea and a choccie digestive (McVities not the Aldi ones which I prefer, her indoors is now on a second warning), tea done I increased the feed to about 12 Casters and poured another cup, when that was finished I made my first cast.

As soon as the float hit the water I missed a bite which “shelled†me, but I had no more bites for about 10 mins, the next bite came from where the bottom starts to lift up, this was where I expected to get bites so I hit this one, which turned out to be a Chub of a pound.
Over the next ten mins or so I had two more “flakey†bites, one I missed, the other turned out to be a Chub of about 3lb, which I landed and walked down to the peg below me to ensure it did not spook the shoal.
The next put in resulted in another “iffy†bite, which I hit, but the Chub shot across the river and left my hook in a bit of rotting reed which broke away as soon as the Chub transferred the hook.
I expected that to be the last of the Chub for a while but the next trot produced a bite from a Chub of about 4lb.
Clearly the Chub were “on the munch†so I decided to increase the bait to about 12 Casters twice a trot, I was hoping that the Chub would miss some and bring the Roach on?

I was wrong, the Chub started to really feed and I had a series of Chub between 3 and 4lb, I did consider setting up a heavier rod, after all I did not search the in t' net for ages for my beautiful Microlite just to get it beaten up by bruiser Chub, but there was still a chance of a Roach and they were what I was after.
I decided to change to double Maggot and first run through, I held the tackle up just where the bottom came up and the float dipped, this bite turned into a Roach of about a pound, success, job done, I had cracked it, I was now going to get a few decent Roach.
Next put in, on Maggot, produced a solid bite in the same spot........................from a 4lb Chub!!!

As did every other bite I had until the light failed and my tea ran out!!!

All in I had 6 or 7 small Chub between half a pound and a pound and a half, I had the one Roach and 26 Chub between 2lb 8oz and 5lb 2oz.

So the day was a bit of a failure, when you consider my original target, ok I had a pound Roach and it was a beautiful clean silver blue fish with the lovely red fins that only Roach can boast, but it was the only one I had so not a huge success.

Did I learn anything, well I already knew Chub liked Caster, that too many Ducks can be a pain and that if you are real quiet, the 10lb Ghost Carp will come in very close to mop up any loose Caster!

Oh yes, and that the resident Robin is fat greedy pig that also likes Caster very much!

So, no, I did not learn a lot at all!

BUT...... I did have a superb day, that I enjoyed immensely, I enjoyed the company of all the anglers that I met and had a very interesting conversation with fellow BFW'er Mark Swaby, who took the photo for me, thanks Mark and good luck tomorrow.

It's not just about targets!!

Tight lines all.

Lovely post Keith, targets aren't that important, it's the enjoyment factor, and I for one would have enjoyed that little session!
All the best
dt

Enjoyed Mikes post, targets and love of fishing are what drives me on, however way too old to get moody if targets don't get caught. Good company, a laugh, solitude and a love of nature drives me back to the bank. The only time I get cheesed off is when I catch a specimen fish e.g. a 2lb+ roach on carp gear or a 30+ carp on cat gear, i like the fish to be able to give a sporting account and make me nervous!

Not sure important is the right word but i do generally have a target species and weight as my goal, there is a hope of a PB in some cases, but i try to keep my aims realistic, Perch fishing , the target is 3lb plus but very happy when I get 2's but man would I love to get a 4 :)

Always nice to meet a fellow BFW member especially when he wishes you good luck for the next day and it comes good, Cheers Keith for the advice, 2 lb exactly
IMG_0737_zpsa0f43283.jpg
.Targets are great but sometimes being out in the country,having a chinwag and a laugh with fellow anglers,catching fish on a method you enjoy makes your day.PS any chance you can wish me luck everytime i go out fishing,ha ha.

Nothing wrong with setting targets and goals .I do ,however, sometimes think that anglers can get a bit obsessed with numbers. The'' doubles '' syndrome comes to mind . I regularly watch the river reports on BFW and you often get comments like , ''only got 3 doubles '' as if everything below that wasn't worth catching . This bewilders me , even if the average size of barbel in a particular river is high , seeing fish below the magic size as inferior is a skewed and rather unfortunate way of looking at things . Targets are only relevant to the water you are fishing . In my local rivers [ Yorkshire Ouse , Nidd , Swale ] a barbel over 10 pounds is a very special fish , however I would say in these rivers a good target for a barbel would be an 8lb er .That's a smashing looking roach by the way Mark , well done .

Gosh, well done Mark, those Roach can be difficult, I know it was a bit warmer today but the conditions were still not ideal.

I am well pleased for you, not sure anything I said helped but, if it helps......

Good luck on your next trip out mate!!!

Tight lines....Hopefully from a bigger Roach!;)

I only wish i had the time to go fishing and set targets, unfortunately, i don,t. Any time/day i can manage to take off work is precious. " I JUST GO FISHING COS I LOVE IT " It don,t matter what the weather is like, snow/sun, water temps etc, as long as i,m on the river bank, thats good enough for me, " ANY " fish is a bonus, be it a 1oz gudgeon or anything else that takes my bait. I just love being there. Even a blank ( which ive had many ), is a memorable day, as i wasn,t at work. :)

So to me, NO, targets are not important, but being on the bank, and escaping the rat race of everyday life is. :)

Keith, the Roach came 2/3 depth tight to the far reeds,the fish came out from an undercut far bank and like you said fed at the depth it came out at.I found an area where the terminal tackle wanted to go under the reeds with the float touching them and targeted it. Bright sunlight and a horrible downstream wind made things difficult,but it came right in the end.

Well done Mark, that looks an amazing place to fish. :) And great when another BFW member can help, well done to Keith also, for sharing, rather than keeping secret. :)

Thanks Derek, to be honest I have never been much of a one for secrets and have always been keen to pass on what I know, I took my coaching badge for just that reason.

How on earth would any of us ever have learned anything if our mentors had kept it to themselves, more importantly I try and place those I coach in a position where they learn to think for themselves.

The fact that Mark used a morsel of information that I passed on to catch a stunning Roach is a great joy for me, I have been enormously lucky in that I have met and fished with some great anglers, the best of them passed on some very valuable information that has helped me catch some fish that would have been beyond my wildest dreams as a young angler.

I feel I would be letting the team down if I were to not pass on some of the useful stuff that I have picked up over the years.

Tight lines chaps.

Yes Keith, your good luck wish worked again on Monday but when i checked my photos i recaptured the same Roach i had last Thursday,1 oz heavier, on punched bread,Greedy fish.

My sentiments derek.. work takes up most of my time with stupid shifts and stupid hours,
i don't worry about the water temperature, weather or other factors if i have a chance to go then i go, regardless....target this year was to hopefully catch a barbel every month of the season but that got blown out of the water when i have been just once since october due to work and health and not likely to get out now to mid january..hopefully if i make it, then when i retire in 4 years i maybe can put a bit more effort into catching what i would like to until then i just make the most of going when i can...

Well its been a year since we lost our mate Keith, so last Saturday i decided i would fish the swim that this post is written about.Arriving before first light unable to see a float i set up my new bomb rod with a cage feeder,liquidised bread with punch on the hook.The first 2 casts produced chub but as soon as the light came up i set up my float rod.Now though the stretch is full of fish you have to be cute, feed correctly and constantly change to catch well.With the water low and clear the fish can see big floats and they move out of their line as they come downstream.I set up a Dave Harrell 2x4 shallow water stick the silver stem blacked out with a marker pen, with number 10's and 8's down the line.Constantly feeding i was soon catching roach ,good dace and chub.About 11 am the weather went wild, wind and rain made it a duck under the umbrella,tie it to a post and hold on for grim death day.The float rod went up the bank and out came the bomb rod again,i continued to catch but only chub, no roach or dace,so changed to a 2 swan shot paternoster.Loose feeding as best as the wind would allow soon saw me catching all species instead of just chub,the roach and dace and perch had been hanging back or had been bullied out. The river then started to rise and colour up and the fishing only got better.The lad fishing upstream of me caught the yellow koi carp that Keith wrote about in his first post,(i should have got a photo, it was a cracker),he was also catching lots of chub on the feeder.We were both mad, soaked and blown about but as he said, how could we leave with the fishing going so well(i might have been dryer if i had not forgotten my boots and had to fish in slip-ons).With about two hours of light left my umbrella went inside out yet again so i left it down and decided to go back on the float.The small float was now useless, it was being blown all over the place so with the colour and increased depth i could use a big float. Bulked number 4's with droppers fished at least 2 feet overdepth and held back hard is what i thought would be needed and first run through it pulled away and a good roach was hooked,at the net the hook popped out but at least it was going to work.Almost every cast a fish was hooked and with about 30 minutes to go i hooked a bigger roach,on netting it i thought it might go 2lb but it was a few ounces short.Still a cracker and i still got the 'do not come off panic' that only seems to happen when playing big Roach.At the end of the day i think i did Keiths swim justice and hope the big man was looking down and drinking a cup of tea,cheers mate,miss ya
IMG_0794_zpswkc8t3nj.jpg

Mark. I was in Wareham and so wanted to catch a monster roach to dedicate to Keith. However only sea trout and dace.
I miss the Grizzly Bear.

Back