• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are sea baits any use in Barbel fishing .

Alex Dalton

Senior Member & Supporter
I know that prawn is a good bait to use , and as a cocktail as well. Most shop bought pellets are sea fish based, crab , halibut etct. Whilst not advocating sticking a peeler crab on the end of a hook length, I have often wondered whilst sea fishing, baits such as black lug and rag worms that do leak juices , and are also relatively tough baits, would be any use in adding to hook baits .

I tried Squid years ago and the Perch seem to like it. Lugworm and Rag do leak juices when cut in half.

I have made boilies with frozen Black lug , they didnt seem to attract any more or less bites than plain Hali Pellets, as far as I can remember without looking in my diaries, but then again I am no lover of Boilies for Barbel,so hardly suprising as I probably only used them the once.
I suppose had they been a "Magic Bullet" bait I would have probably made /used more.

Dave

We are always looking for that super bait I don't think this is it.
I am just getting my Barbel tackle ready and I have lot of pettets let over from last year
and I was thinking how long do they feel keep for. I fish for pike from October so they
have been in airtight box's since then.

We are always looking for that super bait I don't think this is it.
I am just getting my Barbel tackle ready and I have lot of pettets let over from last year
and I was thinking how long do they feel keep for. I fish for pike from October so they
have been in airtight box's since then.

I had some for about 7 years that I used to use for hookbaits. Used to catch loads on them. They will go mouldy if they aren't in an airtight box though

Ian - pellets in their second season are still relatively fresh, particularly having been kept airtight. Use with confidence - at least, with the same level of confidence you had last season. :)

There are some that have been soaking in some liquid but I can't remember what it is.
There is a big bag on ellipse pettets There should be ok I hope.

Back