• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are barbel a sentient species?

Angling Trust Letter to The Prime Minister:

A rare occasion when I and the Angling Trust agree on someting and they are right to see this new legislation as a threat as I did...

Well done Jamie Cook and The Angling Trust
I'm pleased the Angling Trust has taken the Conservative Party to task on the content of this report with regard to recreational angling. Good work again by Jamie Cook.

But none of the recommendations within this report have been included within the Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill or form part of any planned revision of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Just a point about the aforementioned RSPCA in all this - it should be noted they LONG distanced themselves from outright anti sentiment MANY years ago (if memory serves back when I was fishing in the 90s) and have been "okay" with "responsible" angling ever since. In fact I believe they even publicly confirmed that a few years ago when the last piece of animal welfare regs came into play. The only relating thing they're vocally against these days is fishing litter and illegally taking fish, which all of us responsible anglers are in complete agreement with anyway.

More generally, I can't see any of this ever being applied to angling - given the very specific things that are mentioned in the article (and all others I've read), angling is completely conspicuous by its absence. And, apart from anything else, so many MPs of all colours partake in fishing and/or hunting, only the most offensive and illegal aspects of both will be of interest in these regs.

EDIT - all of that being said, that's nevertheless a good response from the AT. That Jamie Cook seems to be a great bunch of lads with head firmly on shoulders.
A condition of the RSPCA’s royal charter is that they are not allowed to campaign against field sports. If they wish to do that they will need to known as the SPCA.

Back