• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone using milks this winter?

Hi men,

Bob , it was only the original Grange I loved , it was a game changer , and I caught a good well known carp in my lake 3 times in a short period , they loved it . In fact the other angler on the lake I felt doubted me 😜 , so on the third capture a week after the second I carried it into their swim 😄 , photos were done 😉. In fact I gave a handful to a very well known angler who instantly see the effect fished alongside his fishmeal bait . The next season he went on to catch 20 X 30lb fish before winter 😲😲😲.

I was buying in bulk readymade frozen baits to fire out , but always rolled hookbaits with the CSL and activator . At one time I had 6 bottles of each in a cupboard in my kitchen , and the inevitable happened when we herd a dull thump , and the inside was soaking 😂, Sue was not impressed 😁. Once it went to the single bottle it never seemed the same , as there was a product they could not source anymore .

I still to this day love the princible of yeasty type products in bait , with brocacel being one , and active liquids to match . DNA Hydrowheat is a very active liquid as they source it in bulk , the CSL is the same , and tops have to be left loose , a very good bait company with many things that are barbel related . I had a great time with pellets soaked in betastim or hydro wheat , even my hookbaits . My mates used to call my hookbait "conkers" , and I handed out a few . Worth a look .

Hatter

Still use a vacuum sealer for most baits and ingredients, it works very well.
Used milks from the early days (70's Geoff Kemp etc) using relatively simple mixes and had success carp, tench and barbel in summer and winter.
Surprising (at the time) it was a Cotswold additive that was very successful for barbel - their multi fruit flavour enhancer.
Almost totally by accident took a few boilies from a carp session to the river and gave them a try with good results. Became my 'always worth trying bait' and flavour. Went on to be a great tench and roach bait as well. Lost touch with Cotswold as they moved out of the area.
Simple recipes like Casein, Lactalbumin, Caseinate, Soya Isolate, Gluten, Carpvit and Soya Oil gave great results.
Just memories now....
Cheers
Bob
so how long would you keep freshly made boilies vacuum packed and still be ok and fresh

so how long would you keep freshly made boilies vacuum packed and still be ok and fresh
Impossible to say as so many variables. Always believe in putting odds in my favour - basically make fresh and use. If not, then exclude or minimise factors that are likely to accelerate bait degradation - light, heat, air etc. This is where freezing, storing in dark, vacuum packing could extend life of bait.
Cheers
Bob

bit late coming into this one,but I used milks exclusively for barbel a few years back and caught very well.I would put a minimum of flavour in the mix ,it proved to be a very good bait. Thing is all of my better fish came on hnv type baits,balanced food baits incorporating fishmeals ,milk proteins ,and bird seeds etc,more balanced bait. Why? have no idea! On the colour theme I know of anglers who used to dye their bait white,and others who used their bait(milks) with no flavour at all! a good bait is just that. Good bait.

I have had a high grade homemade milk protein bait on one of my two rods for nigh on 15 years and I can honestly say it hasn’t outfished the high grade homemade fish meal on the other rod, but on some venues/sessions it has, and vice versa, which is precisely why I continue to fish with two different baits.

I have had a high grade homemade milk protein bait on one of my two rods for nigh on 15 years and I can honestly say it hasn’t outfished the high grade homemade fish meal on the other rod, but on some venues/sessions it has, and vice versa, which is precisely why I continue to fish with two different baits.
Generaly I prefer on smaller rivers the single rod roving approach and my findings are the same Nick sometimes milks sometimes not. I wonder if there are other factors that dictate wether a milk would work one day,the next a fishmeal.(maybe ph levels in the river or something) or maybe I am talking crap! Who knows?

Back