• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone use sonik reels

Last edited:
What rods are they to go on Paul?

Nothing fancy needed for piking imo, they just need to be reliable and good at cranking in heavy weights..

I use Shimmy 3500b for close range and for anything else the old Shimmy Biomaster 7000's XS with the wooden handles. Always some on Ebay for around £25-40 each, functional work horses. The GT's are just as good.

Anyone use theses reels look a pair 5000 I size am after for piking set up
Paul,
I bought an Xtractor 5000 in the autumn to use on my spopper rod. It feels solid, has a good rate of retrieve and a large spool with loads of capacity (too much!), my opinion is it’ll do you a great job 👍

Using the on 2 10ft rods using my diawa theory’s the the min on them which are off my barbel rods just want a other set just for the piking rods them Okuma look nice don’t want anythink to big and heavy for them had feel of the Nash ones other day at shop didn’t like them at all

this is the line lay on the okumas pretty good for a £40 reel
DFCDB484-ACC5-487C-B821-5598ECE1B47D.jpeg

In stock £54.99

This is another vote for the Okuma FD60. I have two paired up with my 10ft rods for canal carp work. They are fantastic bits of kit for their price point. I'm a big Okuma fan anyway but these are excellent performance wise and a bit of a head turner in the style department.

Back