• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone made there own maggot feeders

Yeah I made an open ended one from thin walled aluminium tube years ago. I made the back weight block with a small internal metric thread in it so I could bolt on and remove weights as needed. Was a good feeder but more of an exercise really as the ones you can buy for £2 are just as good.
power gum was brilliant for attaching the swivel to the feeder. Excellent shock absorber especially if the feeder is heavy and the cast long.

Hi Peter, I make my feeders mostly from plant protector tubes, they are basically brown plastic spirals , I unroll them , cut them to the length I need , staple at either end to form a short tube and cut a strip of lead to length ,and bend it lengthways on to the tube tucking the ends in , a loop of mono hooked under one end of the lead strip is the way the attach to the rig , if you want it closed at one end just cut a bit of tube to size and staple it in place. It is best to heat up a nail or similar to make as many or few holes you need as drilling can split the plastic.
I have made feeders from all sorts of bits and bobs, used pva tubes, pharmecutical containers, old film canisters , milk containers etc etc , mostly end up lost anyway, I make my own sinkers , so casting a bit of lead for extra weight is not a problem .
BE426331-6017-4DD2-A74C-9DC74D131C8F.jpegF53EB5D7-DFCF-45F4-A5AC-E9FF44B63560.jpegE132DDD9-57A9-47AA-BA41-60580D8B9936.jpeg
I must have hundreds about the place, I usually feed maggots by plugging the end with brown breadcrumb groundbait, fill with maggots and then plug the other with crumb
again, I think some TV angler calls that method a feeder “ bomb” as the crumb explodes out of the feeder spreading the maggots. The fish dont seem to care what colour the feeders are .

David

Last edited:
Hi Peter, I make my feeders mostly from plant protector tubes, they are basically brown plastic spirals , I unroll them , cut them to the length I need , staple at either end to form a short tube and cut a strip of lead to length ,and bend it lengthways on to the tube tucking the ends in , a loop of mono hooked under one end of the lead strip is the way the attach to the rig , if you want it closed at one end just cut a bit of tube to size and staple it in place. It is best to heat up a nail or similar to make as many or few holes you need as drilling can split the plastic.
I have made feeders from all sorts of bits and bobs, used pva tubes, pharmecutical containers, old film canisters , milk containers etc etc , mostly end up lost anyway, I make my own sinkers , so casting a bit of lead for extra weight is not a problem .
View attachment 10015View attachment 10016View attachment 10017
I must have hundreds about the place, I usually feed maggots by plugging the end with brown breadcrumb groundbait, fill with maggots and then plug the other with crumb
again, I think some TV angler calls that method a feeder “ bomb” as the crumb explodes out of the feeder spreading the maggots. The fish dont seem to care what colour the feeders are .

David
Cheers, I’ve made my own cage feeders,I was looking for ideas as I lost 4 shop bought ones Saturday due to a snaggy swims and it can be costly.

I
You could make them using old film canisters/tubs ,

Richard, if you look carefully at the bucket of feeders, I have about twenty made from film cannisters, I was lucky enough to get a bag of about 50 or so about 15 years ago, mostly black, but some were white, they work very well, in fact I made some beefy feeders with the clip top attached by powergum , with about 3 oz of lead attached at the bottom . I must have been feeling artistic , as I painted them brown, no idea why .... photos below, also you can see a couple of standard open ended ones made from film cannisters ..
Again, it is a better result if you melt holes in the sides as opposed to drilling, the drilled holes tend to split whilst the melted ones are pretty robust.
IMG_2417.JPG

David

I must admit Paul, I really like the "curler" idea, but I only seem to be able to find really garish colours , and ones that are big enough to sink the Titanic, the ones in your photo look just right , a good variety of sizes , and dont hurt the eyes.

David.

I must admit Paul, I really like the "curler" idea, but I only seem to be able to find really garish colours , and ones that are big enough to sink the Titanic, the ones in your photo look just right , a good variety of sizes , and dont hurt the eyes.

David.
have a look in home bargains,the outside velcro like material is removabal

David,
You know how in years gone by, when you went for a hair cut, the barber would always ask," anything for the weekend sir? ".
Well now the barber's have been replaced by unisex salons, when the hairdresser asks the same question you reply, "yes please a pack of three small hair curlers".
Simples !!!!!

They look just the job Steve.
Put the swivel on the bottom of the tub and remove the screw cap and you have a nice slow release river groundbait feeder. 👍🏻

Above are very small though ..... ~1/2" diameter. Think I've got a job lot of over 30 small green feeders in the garage that anyone can have for £15 delivered.

Back