• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone else keep fish on here?

Jon Kennard

Just had a thought as to whether anyone else does? Ive just a tank service and water change. Only good a 120 litres community tank but love it. My algae eaters look like mini barbel :cool:

I really enjoy it also try to get my boys involved where I can. Interesting watching the different types and their characteristics. I used to have a massive tank with a big siddall of tinfoil barbs (very roach like) absolutely stunning. Got rid of them when my first came along.

I've scaled down to 2 Tropical Tanks now but used to have 5 running.Various Cyclids.
Water change's are so important and Imo vary in frequency as to what fish you keep how many and what size in any size tank.
Good Mature biological filtration is key and never over feed.Had allsorts of fish over the years but never kept marines that are so time consuming.

Nice I thought their might be a few fish keepers. Unfortunately for my boys they are never going to get a hairy pet. They do have them to enjoy in the family. However they've really enjoyed keeping the fish. Yes I agree it so about the water changes. Had cold water as a boy in a tank, and yes I did fish in my pond in the closed season!

Ah, this I must confess is one of my other “problems” (I have three). I’ve been keeping fish almost as long as I’ve fished... I have worked full time in the aquarium trade, have and still do bits for public aquariums.

The problem started with the usual goldfish and then attempting to keep various rock pool creatures, then I had a stint doing the tropical thing with all sorts, including the legendary Dragonfish, the Arrowanna. Then I started marines, that must be around 18 years ago. At that stage it was work, home, all consuming and I had a number... of aquariums dotted about doing different things. I lost the Arrowanna and got sick of retail and downsized everything to a single reef tank and that’s where things remained for about 10 years. Culminating in this 500L Reef tank;
D40EB70B-369C-4DC6-BC9A-BE6E1F32D519.jpeg

We moved house in June 2018, and despite doing all the same things I did during the move of 2013, I lost the lot. Gutted doesn’t even cut it. This coupled with the extensive works to the house and the banning (now lifted) of coral exports from Indonesia made rebuilding things the way the were both economically and psychically difficult. So I took a break and re-evaluated my position.

Que operation rebuild. After some swaps and DIY I managed to land myself a small 125L tank, all in I wasn’t out of pocket and it was on wheels so should it be required I could move the tank. It’s about 18 months old now. Here’s some pictures, it’s got a long way to go and it will pave the way to the next stage when the house is more complete.
Full tank shot from today;
89FE34DA-0C78-440C-BEB2-2F5E244D7E1E.jpeg

Growth shots;
E09C1677-BF55-46A2-A50F-2B439DEB66C5.jpeg

I got a 140l tank for my birthday last year. I have 2 fairground goldfish, a sarasa comet, a shubunkin, a lemon goldfish, a ranchu and 2 koi. The koi I got suckered into buying last autumn, they were 99p each and about an inch long. To be honest I didn’t think they would survive. The guy in the shop said that they needed fry food otherwise they would die but I just fed them flake, bloodworm and daphnia. The buggers have thrived and more than doubled in size which of course means that I have another project underway, building a pond for them! I won’t be doing this the ‘by the book way’, either. I want to run a filter and pump via green energy, solar and wind.
Longer term dream is to get a mini digger in and build a crucian pond at the top of the garden.

Very nice Stephen,yes the arrowanna in all its various types(I had the much cheaper common silvers) remains my Favourite fish of all time,had 2 of them aquired at 5 inch and grew to 18 inch within 10 months when I had to regretably pass them on as didn't have the space to upgrade to a larger tank.Would of been great if they stopped growing to the size of tank but them things grow to enormous size.Heartbreaking to let them go.
My mate got a 300 litre marine with all sorts in and arrived home after a week away to a tank of half dead fish,one of the anemones or sea cucumbers got sucked up into a filter/wavemaker and exploded.He gave up after that and never had a tank since.

Very nice Stephen,yes the arrowanna in all its various types(I had the much cheaper common silvers) remains my Favourite fish of all time,had 2 of them aquired at 5 inch and grew to 18 inch within 10 months when I had to regretably pass them on as didn't have the space to upgrade to a larger tank.Would of been great if they stopped growing to the size of tank but them things grow to enormous size.Heartbreaking to let them go.
My mate got a 300 litre marine with all sorts in and arrived home after a week away to a tank of half dead fish,one of the anemones or sea cucumbers got sucked up into a filter/wavemaker and exploded.He gave up after that and never had a tank since.

I have a love of Arrowanna, I’d have another tomorrow but it would have to live in the garage and that’s where my other “problem” lives...

This is a classic closed season read. Stephen that was a stunning tank as is the smaller one you've now got. I've got the same tank but with tropical. I love the catfish the best if I'm honest. In can't remember their scientific names mitre but a type of cory ( you don't see many of). That are fantastic in their design but quite shy so not out that much when your around other than feed time.
Ive never done the marine thing maybe in the future.
Julian I had koi as a boy in a 3ft tank I remember giving them small bits of bread occasionally seems watching them nail them like the carp I used to catch off the surface. I Actually sold them for a good few quid back then 27+ years as they were a sort after type. I'd like to do a coarse thank one day with tench etc but guess they will also grow to big quickly.

nice pond but like all of us the heron means we have to cover with a net and spoil the look, my pond is neglected now, just given up with the battle, I'll get it all back tidy again soon but 20 years of having my best fish stolen has left me deflated for the time being.

Back