• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone any good with reels?

Alan Manger

I have a Okuma Epix EPB40 that has developed a problem. It began when I tightened the (front) drag down hard to pull free from a snag and once free the handle started turning stiff on every second turn, one lose one tight.
Any ideas what causes this and how to fix?

many thanks
Al

You may have compressed the drag washers causing them to bind together. I had a similar problem with one of my Shimano RE's a couple of years ago. I sent it to Shimano reels service at Felindre where they sorted it for a few quid.

I would agree that it could be the spindle which is bent, you may find it is just the rotor catching and you can bent it back by manipulating the spool.........

I don't fully understand how this happened, I set the drag on my reels to suit the line or hooklink and do not adjust unless I change line or hooklink. If I need to pull from a snag or pull for a break I would clamp my left hand around the reel spool which I find is the only real way to stop it completely and then walk backwards with the rod pointing directly along the line.

I should point out that this needs to be done carefully and be prepared to get out of the way quickly if the lead, etc, comes flying out in your direction, you would be amazed how many people get seriously injured each year whilst pulling for a break, leads through the chest cavity, etc......... they are like bullets from a gun!!

Hi Alan,

I have a new pair of Okuma 'Interceptor Pro 40's' that have a baitrunner facility, with a clutch/drag setting nob for that at the rear of the reel. I tightened that up on one of them while trying things out a couple of weeks back, and that has never been the same since...it now only works intermittently :( I have also found the line lay on these to be absolutely appalling :mad:

I was told by my local tackle shop that there are now no spares available (including spools :eek:)...if they go wrong, or you have any problems, you take them back and they swap them for new ones. I wouldn't mind betting that they have decided to bang out huge batches of each model, and have done away with their quality control department. They are all VERY basic reels, so they are dirt cheap to manufacture, which means swapping is probably more economical than the hassle and labour costs of quality control.

That is only a guess, but I doubt I am far wrong :rolleyes: You could try taking the spool off completely and turning the handle then, at least that would narrow down the possibilities...but I expect that in the end, you will have to take your reel back to the supplier and get another one.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions I've been messing about for a week with this reel and can't find anything actually wrong with the parts mentioned but I have found that loosening the baitrunner to the lightest setting makes it turn a lot better, I'd venture that it is useable but it's a bit of a risk if it tightens up again with a fish on!

Regards
Al

David the Interceptor's are the cheaper cousins of the Epix Pro's. I have had the pro's for 2 years and always considered then awesome reels. You could try ebay Alan sometimes you can pick up a spare reel for £20.

Back