• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

The following comments, from correspondence with the EA this week, are posted to keep you informed and for you to share as you see fit:
‘A number of the more sensitive species including barbel will be very susceptible with the current high temperatures. This poses a risk to fish stocks as oxygen is less soluble in water at high temperatures and as a result it is harder for fish to recover if caught. We (the EA) are aware of other sections of the River Trent/Clubs who have decided to stop fishing currently. We (the EA) are aware that the temperatures are set to increase again (met office forecast) so the river temperature will remain high for the next week at least.’
The EA go on to say ‘So whilst fishing, (if you feel you really must), take especial care over fish welfare, particularly for more sensitive species, which includes barbel. Take particular care when playing (the right balanced set up), landing (resting in the net) and releasing (resting again) fish during warm weather, as they are already under stress from the high water temperatures and the associated reduced dissolved oxygen content of the water. Unhook fish in the water if possible and only take them out of the water for unhooking if absolutely necessary. Take photos in the water - keeping a fish in the air, even for a few seconds, can greatly reduce its chances of surviving after capture.’
So folk, in conclusion, limiting further stress to our barbel is sensible. Ultimately however, the decision to fish or not is down to the individual. I personally will refrain from fishing at this time.

Not going, it's just not right is it??? Especially the Trent. I enjoy my fishing and I couldn't see me being on the bank and calling myself responsible fishing in these conditions. I have see with my own eyes what over playing a Barbel, weighing and photographing a Barbel can do to it's immediate lifespan..... Not long imo

In this long running and informative debate I've been firmly of the opinion that the vast majority of us are sensible and can make an informed decision based on experience and local conditions in deciding whether to lay off barbel fishing. In the last 24 hours I've read two posts elsewhere which questions my belief that we're all getting it right. Firstly someone has declared that they are continuing to fish for barbel with a light hooklength admitting that they have to be played to exhaustion to land them and secondly a case of a very good match angler having eight decent sized barbel in a keepnet until the weigh-in. The latter's response to criticism would suggest that he cares very much about fish welfare. I may be wrong but both cases don't rest easy with me. I don't generally believe in penalising the many as a result of the actions of a minority but am now wondering if clubs closing vulnerable sections of rivers is indeed the way ahead.

I think the most important word there was vulnerable. No all rivers are equal nor are even individual stretches and the vulnerability to current conditions is dictated as is.
For the last week I’d say, it’s not been exceptional weather for June. Ground water is still good. Comparing data collected at the Knapp Mill site about the H.Avon neither temperature or flow are exceptional, the top and lower end of average for the time of year but not exceptional.
Comparisons to the drought of 76 aren’t comparable either.

As I've been suffering with sciatica I haven't been fishing at all since the end of May but did manage a short session on the Dee the other day when I was feeling better after a session with my osteopath. I was wading and float fishing maggot in fast, streamy water, caught a few dace, salmon parr and grayling, all returned from hand immediately. My best grayling of the day was about 1.04 and fought harder than any I've caught in winter, going airborne several times, that was the only one that took a while to recover but swam off strongly, I've had them go belly up in winter when far less "stressed", odd isn't it?

Personally you have to look at each river individually. The tidal Trent isn't my local but it's the one i choose to fish most. Since the start of the season it has gpne downhill quite quickly. There was bouyant catches everywhere then as the temps rose, I saw at least 2 algae blooms?, I also witnessed spring tides rushing further up and depositing silt everywhere well past Dunham. The Trent has one of the biggest sewage out falls in the UK at Burton Joyce and many other sewage outlets from various other cities and towns through it's travels. So when it gets to the tidal it's had it's fair share of our filth and what the farmers chuck in too. You also have to bring the tides into the equation every 12 hours 24 mins. The rocks that bake in the sun all day and then a tide washes over them transferring the warmth back to the river. It must all add up. I have seen enough dead barbel floating past, seeing friends try to resuscitate a Barbel that's gave it's life for our pleasure. I can now see stopping fishing gaining a pace now until conditions abate, with clubs shutting sections down and angling organisations giving advice to give the rivers a rest. People who I personally know getting guilt trips if they were to catch a Barbel etc etc.
Anyway I really enjoyed being back on a lake in July for the first time in years... Not much happened there either.

someone is proud of himself.

Attachments

• IMG-20180724-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20180724-WA0009.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 357
Further to my earlier posts, now I have returned to Yorkshire , and have seen the condition of the Lancashire Ribble, where I normally fish.. it is extremely low, and I would say the fish are very vulnerable at this time, therefore I would not consider casting a line there until it has a good flow once again, not for some time I would guess.

Two weeks ago, the Wye was a different river again, I managed to find some fairly deep water below rapids and also with a couple of streams entering just above my chosen swims, plenty of overhead cover, aeriation, the fish there were in good fettle, were quickly netted without "wearing them out " and returned fit and well after resting. I feel that each river should be judged on its own merits, what is good for one is tragedy for another.
As has been said by others.. if there is a doubt in your mind about the fitness of your river, it is easier to either go elsewhere or make other arrangements. Not every angler is a member of the "Fish at all costs" circus . I am sure that BFW anglers are for the most part responsible and have a concience , therefore to castigate >>>>> everyone <<<<<
who says they have caught barbel in the last few weeks is a bit narrow minded as it wont be possible to classify every swim in every river from behind a keyboard.

For myself, I will be looking at a few Yorkshire Rivers next week, but having seen the river levels from the EA site, It will just be a sightseeing venture, no gear, just a riverbank ramble.

Some stillwaters I fish are now looking at much reduced levels as well, mostly reservoirs ...... so I think my angling will be from the Holderness beaches for the forseeable future, there are Smoothhound, Bass, Ray, etc to be targetted , plus a few charter boat trips after Cod and Ling...
As soon as the river levels are back I will probably be checking them out before any fixed trips.

Responsibility is all, I hope that each and every river and stream, and each and every stillwater manages to keep its inhabitants safe and well for the future.

Dave

The Warren on the Wye have just stopped issuing day tickets I have also been told that a double figure Barbel caught in a match at the weekend on the Severn at Tewkesbury went belly up and died

The Warren on the Wye have just stopped issuing day tickets I have also been told that a double figure Barbel caught in a match at the weekend on the Severn at Tewkesbury went belly up and died
That's bad news, perhaps you might want to complain to BAA On holding matches let alone keeping Barbel in keep net, at any time let alone now. I will warn you though any talk of fish care or matches is met with some disdain from the committee.

That erstwhile conservationist group the Wye and Usk Foundartion still seems to be selling coarse fishing tickets but have suspended salmon fishing...are game fish more suscptible to higher temperatures?

That's bad news, perhaps you might want to complain to BAA On holding matches let alone keeping Barbel in keep net, at any time let alone now. I will warn you though any talk of fish care or matches is met with some disdain from the committee.
Bit of a recipe for disaster really, that area is not known for its fast flowing oxygenated water is it!!! And without wishing to judge, the fish was probably played for God knows however long on match tackle, retained in a keep net then however many trophy shots taken afterwards.
I thought the BAA would have put something on their website highlighting the perils of fishing for Barbel in the current conditions:(

Neil the match was on the TPAA water on the Severn at Tewesbury .. It was not BAA

Bit of a recipe for disaster really, that area is not known for its fast flowing oxygenated water is it!!! And without wishing to judge, the fish was probably played for God knows however long on match tackle, retained in a keep net then however many trophy shots taken afterwards.
I thought the BAA would have put something on their website highlighting the perils of fishing for Barbel in the current conditions:(

Mark the match was not on BAA waters it was on another club stretch . The guy who caught it had it weighed and returned straight after he caught it and it still went belly up and died

Neil the match was on the TPAA water on the Severn at Tewesbury .. It was not BAA
OK! Then considering the location I can only assume the Barbel was out of the water for too long, horrible situation for anyone to be in
The BAA bailiff at Stacklands on the Wye, did a month ago, highlighting the danger of fishing the Wye in these conditions, he is a good guy, but I am afraid the Club have done nothing apparently to consider suspending fishing.

Back