• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Any recommendations for riverside camping sites with fishing?

Marc Bridger

As above really...I've got next weekend off work and fancy getting away for a couple of days to myself. I'll be taking my caravan and don't really want to travel too far. Any suggestions?

I've been doing some googling, and found Lucksall Park on the Wye which is my only option at the mo.

Marc,

You could take a look at Harvington Weir on the Warks Avon, Sandy Balls on the Hants Avon, a few sites on the Thames too.

Not sure if it's too far but there's Smeatons Lakes/Caravan Park near Newark, it has 7 pegs on the Trent and 3 or 4 lakes on site, plus there's the rest of the Trent in the area to go at 

Hi men ,

Ian suggestion of the Harvington is a good one , not to far from you, plenty of swims / fish .

Hatter

if your near worcester, try the ketch caravan park on bath road,5 mins from worcester centre.
its right on the banks of the severn,very peaceful no kids,showers,pub at site entrance do cheap meals......i will be down there in 5 weeks.......:D

As above really...I've got next weekend off work and fancy getting away for a couple of days to myself. I'll be taking my caravan and don't really want to travel too far. Any suggestions?

I've been doing some googling, and found Lucksall Park on the Wye which is my only option at the mo.

Marc

Wye seems to be very low/weedy and patchy at the mo.

Also still school holidays so plenty of kids and canoes to deal with.

If after that you still fancy the Wye - then tight lines mate!

White House Farm How Caple is a Cl Site between Hereford and Ross on Wye on the Wye with fishing £10.00 a day I believe from the farm it is also a member of the Wye & Usk Foundation but if you book through them it is £15.00 a day. Nice and quite well away from it all.

Mill House
Hawford
Worcester
Worcestershire
WR3 7S

It's on the A449. Salwarpe on site, Severn across the road and fishable on a BAA ticket.

Hampton Loade by the Unicorn pub right on the Severn

Watch sandy balls, they have put their prices up something like 50% in recent years.
We were quoted £200 for 4 nights.....
The Severn is slow at the moment for barbel, plenty of other species feeding.
Lickhill at stourport could be another option.

Steve

Marc

Wye seems to be very low/weedy and patchy at the mo.

Also still school holidays so plenty of kids and canoes to deal with.

If after that you still fancy the Wye - then tight lines mate!
On the occasions I've fished it in recent weeks, they've been feeding well in the evenings and into dark, if Marc is able to fish then.

Cheers for all the replies guys.

There's definitely a few to try in the future there. I did an hour or so searching on the internet today and found this one...

http://www.availablepitch.com/cgi-bin/AVpitchnew/main.pl?option=search_site&context=display&site=653

...the main thing I was after was a bit of peace and quiet so it sounds ideal. Just need to find a decent book to take with me and that's the three days away from it all sorted! ;)

As for Harvington, I know it well, but have only fished day sessions there and have only caught very small barbel (plenty of em though). It's definitely one for the future to target the bigger specimens into darkness.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Marc, I haven't stayed at that site, but I know where it is and it's a seriously beautiful part of the world. I had a brief look at that stretch of the river last time I was down there, and it did look fairly shallow and weeded, so it would probably be a matter of finding the right spot and I'd certainly be thinking of fishing into the dark. I would have thought the site owner could offer some advice though.

I'm planning on doing some carp fishing on Friday night, but as I'm writing this, I'm thinking maybe I should go down the Wye Valley instead, a couple of days camping, reading walking and fishing sounds just the ticket! :cool:

INFO! The hole in the wall stretch is downstream from the footbridge,the stretch upstream of the bridge is controlled by Foy and a bailiff lives within view of the stretch.

Cheers for the info Ray, and Andy, I have every intention of fishing into dark as long as my nerves allow me. Without sounding like a complete wuss, I'm not a huge fan of sitting on the bank into the small hours. :eek:

Back