• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another one bites the dust

Paul Hayes

One of Leicester oldest tackle shops is to close, Angling Man on Melton Road run by Stuart Killen.
Main reason being given is the modern age younger people more interested in computer games, mainly older anglers fishing now, and Internet purchases. Shame as it's been around for a long time.

Always sad to see long established tackle shops calling it a day,...perhaps another nail in the coffin could be clubs offering full membership, day and guest tickets online,..effectively leapfrogging their old tackle shop agents and depriving them of the add on business that would come from punters.
Always handy to be able to sort a guest ticket at the last minute online when looking at river conditions, but the shops suffer.

Avon Angling Centre in Ringwood is closing down at the end of this month as well.

Never quite understood how Avon Angling and Ringwood Tackle both got business being only 50 yards apart?

Never quite understood how Avon Angling and Ringwood Tackle both got business being only 50 yards apart?

No mystery Bill,...they are both such good shops and punters don't mind driving a few miles to use them. To have two in such close proximity must be a legacy of better times I guess. There is also one hell of a lot of local decent still water venues plus the fluff chuckers,...not just us river nuts!
The only mystery to me is how someone can open up at 7am 7 days a week!:)

I think you will find that they had thier own customer base, I know people in Ringwood who wouldn't use Avon and vice versa. Pretty blessed tackle shop wise round here. There's also Bournemouth Fishing Lodge, Christchurch Angling Centre and Davies Tackle a few miles down the road. Not to mention a smattering of Sea Angling shops. BFL is my usual shop.

I could be wrong but I bet many shops got onto internet customers late, rather than in the early days of it. That would see a decline over several years, causing them to stock less due to poor cash flow levels. Those that seem to be doing well, also do very good internet deals, that seems the way to go.

I've been into a tackle shop maybe twice in three years. Most online will exchange clothing if it's too big (but not used) and damaged items. You can also get such good reviews online that I'm happy to buy things online without actually seeing them. I've yet to make a big mistake but felt if I did, as I deal with just a handful of shops, it would be exchanged due to being a good client.

Do we really need tackle shops now?

Small items off Ebay don't attract postage with those I use. Shops can charge around £3.50 to post things like float stops, often the item cost less than the postage, has that happened to you. I happy with internet shopping and EBay myself, but it's sad to see any small business go bust.

I could be wrong but I bet many shops got onto internet customers late, rather than in the early days of it. That would see a decline over several years, causing them to stock less due to poor cash flow levels. Those that seem to be doing well, also do very good internet deals, that seems the way to go.

I've been into a tackle shop maybe twice in three years. Most online will exchange clothing if it's too big (but not used) and damaged items. You can also get such good reviews online that I'm happy to buy things online without actually seeing them. I've yet to make a big mistake but felt if I did, as I deal with just a handful of shops, it would be exchanged due to being a good client.

Do we really need tackle shops now?

Small items off Ebay don't attract postage with those I use. Shops can charge around £3.50 to post things like float stops, often the item cost less than the postage, has that happened to you. I happy with internet shopping and EBay myself, but it's sad to see any small business go bust.

I find my mail order maggots in summer tend to be casters by the time the mrs signs for the delivery.
In seriousness though for some things a shop is needed. I recently purchased a Shimano Baitrunner, I nearly brought one online. Having seen the particular model in reel life at the shop (had to have that pun) it wasn't what I wanted, at all. I explained what I was after and he recommended another one. So I ended up ordering one in through my local tackle shop. No pressure to buy, it was a case of I'll get it in and if it's what you want then that's cool.
The best bit is, it was the same price as online and there was no delivery. If it breaks il go in and moan.
Some things you've gotta get your hands on them first before partin with your hard earned.

Its not been around as long as many but I have many fond memories in my years down there popping in to Avon Angling.
Martine was always really helpful with the advice for a budding barbel angler.

Sadly it seems that it was not the competition or declining trade that did for Avon Angling. Just a greedy landlord with a huge rent increase that made the business unsustainable.

Will miss them as they sold the best quality maggots I've ever used.

Dave

I'll echo that David. Most fishing tackle shops simply cannot afford the high rents being asked.

I do love Game Fairs however as you can touch and browse all the tackle you want. I always buy something from a Game fair.

Fine for Charity shops, Pound land, and Spec-Savers. Brings me on to how crap our high streets are. I honestly rarely visit the town centre as they have nothing to offer me?

i have nearly always used local tackle shops and will as long as they are around. My local is Tadley angling, can go in there have a coffee and a chat with Kev n Lynne as well as fellow anglers. most are a good souece for what is happening catch wise in the area.
last time i bough a couple of rods online i gave em away as didnt actually like them. I only buy on the internet what i cant get locally. To me its worth the money but then i dont make major purchases now, got 5 Barbel rods, 2 carp rods, 2 float rods 2 feeder rods and an Avon quiver.
Pins for all of them and some Shimanos if i ever want to fish more than 40yds which is pretty much never.

i have nearly always used local tackle shops and will as long as they are around. My local is Tadley angling, can go in there have a coffee and a chat with Kev n Lynne as well as fellow anglers. most are a good souece for what is happening catch wise in the area.
last time i bough a couple of rods online i gave em away as didnt actually like them. I only buy on the internet what i cant get locally. To me its worth the money but then i dont make major purchases now, got 5 Barbel rods, 2 carp rods, 2 float rods 2 feeder rods and an Avon quiver.
Pins for all of them and some Shimanos if i ever want to fish more than 40yds which is pretty much never.

Robert, i understand where your coming from tackle wise, but where else can we get fresh maggots/casters from, without a local tackle shop ?

another good point Derek, luckily my local does quality maggots, worms etc. I think part of the problem, maybe a big part is the money in carp fishing as opposed to other coarse fishing. Most people use baits from the cupboard or freezer, i get through a few gallons of maggots each year and a fair few lobs so would be lost if the local closed, thats why i use them. Just wish i could go in to just buy 4 pint of maggots without coming out £30 poorer with the additional bits n pieces lol

another good point Derek, luckily my local does quality maggots, worms etc. I think part of the problem, maybe a big part is the money in carp fishing as opposed to other coarse fishing. Most people use baits from the cupboard or freezer, i get through a few gallons of maggots each year and a fair few lobs so would be lost if the local closed, thats why i use them. Just wish i could go in to just buy 4 pint of maggots without coming out £30 poorer with the additional bits n pieces lol
:D:D:D

Ha Ha Ha. I know exactly what you mean :D:D The maggots in my local shop, can cost me anywhere between £3, and £25 a pint. :D:D:D

Sadly it seems that it was not the competition or declining trade that did for Avon Angling. Just a greedy landlord with a huge rent increase that made the business unsustainable.

Will miss them as they sold the best quality maggots I've ever used.

Dave

Funny you mention that David, I am old enough to remember when Davis Angling did maggots that were so big you had to stun them with a stick to get them on the hook :D. Seriously though, their maggots were monsters compared to the stuff we were used to in the tackle shops in my area. Not the same now, but then what is?

Cheers, Dave.

Funny you mention that David, I am old enough to remember when Davis Angling did maggots that were so big you had to stun them with a stick to get them on the hook :D. Seriously though, their maggots were monsters compared to the stuff we were used to in the tackle shops in my area. Not the same now, but then what is?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, have you noticed, as you get older, everything gets smaller ;) i mean wagon wheels. :D

Back