• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another New Member

Tim Lawrence

Hello everyone

I’m pleased to have joined BFW, I’ve been reading on and off for a while and thought I should join. A bit about me, for anyone interested, I’ve fished since the mid 80’s but took a 15 year break in 96’. I moved from Shropshire to South Yorkshire in 2008 and soon got the urge to start again. With so many waterways up here, it was hard to resist. I fish for all species as I love the variety, but after another three year break, my thoughts are turning to barbel once more.

My local rivers are the Dearne and Don, and I’ve had some good success before my break
with a run of barbel from the Dearne. My PB is 10lb 4oz, but I’ve had them to 9lb and a few 6’s too. But also many, many blanks along the way.

I’m looking forward to learning more about our bearded friends, and hopefully picking up some tips along the way.

The aim for this season is to just catch a barbel from the Dearne again. Then to start exploring the Don. I’m not massively transfixed on beating my PB, I’ll just be quite happy catching any.

Are there many anglers from South Yorkshire on here?

Hi tim, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your barbel fishing, if you have any queries i am sure you will get all the info you need on here. tight lines. regard paul.

Welcome Tim, I’m new here too everyone has been great and I’ve had some great advice, I’m sure you’ll find this a mine of good information well worth joining.

Welcome Tim :)

Hi Tim,
Welcome aboard. Loads of good lads on this forum with a desire to help, some from your neck of the woods but alas I can’t help with either the Dearne or Don as I well south of you.
Good Luck with your quest and keep us posted of your successes.

Welcome and funnily enough I was walking by the Dearne a couple of weeks ago, looks fishy ☺️

Welcome and funnily enough I was walking by the Dearne a couple of weeks ago, looks fishy ☺️
Thanks Brian. That’s it’s main problem, there are so many swims that just scream barbel, but there’s not quite enough barbel to go round them all. They’re few and far between, but grow to a good size.

Back