• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another little improvement made.

When I used them, yes they're ok with you rods at around 45degree go past that and you asking the rest to defy gravity

Sorry Jason but that’s utter nonsense.
I think we can all agree this is sitting at a high rod tip position well well over 45° and could go even more before the blank touched the bottom of the rest. it’s entirely up to you if you want to take my word for it but it’s very stable and certainly no defiance on gravity.
I’m struggling to see the whole gravity point here if I’m honest. You see how it works don’t you Jason? The rod rest pivots very freely so the leaning rod finds its home in the V.
I am going to struggle to explain it any more simply so if your not convinced then let’s just call it a day
Cheers
965BD4A1-6B4F-4D3B-879F-685517DBDE0B.jpeg
48940303-E8E1-4442-B3B4-E7F7732BB8CD.jpeg
7F32B377-7C4F-4786-87D3-4A5CD6B2385D.jpeg
2A419BD1-6C39-4ECD-8A90-412376BBDA5A.jpeg
13E99B77-29B3-4C5A-95C0-8312953713FF.jpeg

I think we can all agree this is sitting at a high rod tip position well well over 45° and could go even more before the blank touched the bottom of the rest. it’s entirely up to you if you want to take my word for it but it’s very stable and certainly no defiance on gravity.
I’m struggling to see the whole gravity point here if I’m honest. You see how it works don’t you Jason? The rod rest pivots very freely so the leaning rod finds its home in the V.
I am going to struggle to explain it any more simply so if your not convinced then let’s just call it a day
Cheers View attachment 9153View attachment 9154View attachment 9155View attachment 9156View attachment 9157

Right, what I'm getting at with gravity is... pull your rod away from the rest in your garage at that angle, gravity takes over and the rest drops back to being vertical.... then lower the rod back to the rest, what happens?

Right, what I'm getting at with gravity is... pull your rod away from the rest in your garage at that angle, gravity takes over and the rest drops back to being vertical.... then lower the rod back to the rest, what happens?
The same thing that happens in every position on the rest. The rest pivots back over when I place the rod there and The rod sits back in the rest.
Send me an email address I’ll video it for you as this is kinda making the thread boring.

I

Apologies...yes you can get the rod rest to move back into position,

But😀 When I tried using them I did not like the way it had to forced to get the head to go back into position...so they were not for me....think I've still got them if you want to buy them?
No not if they need you to apply force on the rod to work.
With these 2 A full length 11 foot rod with a couple of oz cast out into the rivers flow will move these two rests into position without the need to do anything other than lay them in the rest.

Cheers View attachment 9153View attachment 9154View attachment 9155View attachment 9156View attachment 9157
Proper Workshop !

It’s just a garage
Most of us have them at home, I just chose not to fill it with rubbish and use it for other things ;)

You can never have enough space. I seem to fill mine up with all sorts of junk during a job, making it difficult to move and do things.
One half of mine, during a home roofing project. Must clear it up to make space for more interesting things.

Have fun,
Bob

Certainly not huge or industrial but enables me to carry out most little tasks and projects.
View attachment 9158
When the bike is in there it isn’t so spacious

Makes mine look like a broom cupboard.....
IMG_3574.JPG

Thats me busy in the throes of making a cane landing net, I have just about managed to squeeze my tools into the workshop, you cannot tell, but I have squirreled away in there a 110v compound mitre saw, a table saw, a bandsaw, a pillar drill, a small spindle moulder , 3 routers plus a good selection of small electric handtools and a shedload of other various tools. Just out of picture is a vertical rod cupboard, and 2 tackle boxes for boat and beach, plus a set of drawers with reels etc .Its nice because it is actually inside the house next door to the dining room, it just needs to be a bit bigger, by about another 40 ft each way.

David

To add my two penn'orth ...I've used 'Swingrests for over 15 years and the originals (Type GP, made by Mel Wilde in Warrington I believe) were brilliant. They swung very freely but were liable to breakage. The more recent (Asian made, I presume) replacements are much sturdier, but IMO are somewhat inferior : they're much less 'free swinging' via gravity alone, and some incarnations have an in-built line trap, as the 'pivot studs' are not flush with the side of the rest head (as in the model that you use @Richard Isaacs ). I avoid that particular model now, and although all the new swing-rests do stick a bit, it's not a major problem.

To add my two penn'orth ...I've used 'Swingrests for over 15 years and the originals (Type GP, made by Mel Wilde in Warrington I believe) were brilliant. They swung very freely but were liable to breakage. The more recent (Asian made, I presume) replacements are much sturdier, but IMO are somewhat inferior : they're much less 'free swinging' via gravity alone, and some incarnations have an in-built line trap, as the 'pivot studs' are not flush with the side of the rest head (as in the model that you use @Richard Isaacs ). I avoid that particular model now, and although all the new swing-rests do stick a bit, it's not a major problem.
I’ve got both versions. They all work equally well.
Mine are all well worn in and all swing quite freely.

Attachments

• 19D78761-3B10-4812-9250-544E915CC5ED.jpeg
    19D78761-3B10-4812-9250-544E915CC5ED.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 239
Started this one ages ago but only got round to finishing it this afternoon with a coat of garden green.
Aluminium side tray. Incredibly light weight and dimensionally I’ve made it to suit the bag.
I’ve also swapped the threads around so the tray is female and bank stick male so that I didn’t have half an inch of thread sticking out making it less compact than it should be. Side tray for a light traveller.
67B73552-ECFB-4084-98A8-C14396E41633.jpeg

3BF1A168-F3D0-4BF1-A475-87C41C4ED449.jpeg
11FB2942-0ABE-454E-A973-5F2B7A533B7D.jpeg
A9D1455E-250F-446F-8D9A-4CFABB15174F.jpeg
Here’s the reasoning behind the whole build it myself.
The pics show it’s the perfect size to fit nice and flat inside my roving bag. Had it been much wider, deeper it would of probably not fit well. Also the reason for swapping round the thread orientation. If there was a male thread sticking out the back of the tray then again that would be a problem as you can see.
I don’t like chair fittings either. I’m on and off my chair all the time and things clipped up to the chair only get shaken about or knocked off. I see the point on hard banks but if I can get it in the ground away from the chair then I will.

Back