• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another little improvement made.

Just bought one of these from camping and general

table.jpg

View attachment 9175View attachment 9176View attachment 9177Here’s the reasoning behind the whole build it myself.
The pics show it’s the perfect size to fit nice and flat inside my roving bag. Had it been much wider, deeper it would of probably not fit well. Also the reason for swapping round the thread orientation. If there was a male thread sticking out the back of the tray then again that would be a problem as you can see.
I don’t like chair fittings either. I’m on and off my chair all the time and things clipped up to the chair only get shaken about or knocked off. I see the point on hard banks but if I can get it in the ground away from the chair then I will.
How do you attach the chair to the back of the bag? I had to replace my chair after the korum one fell apart on me so brought a chub one than fits just about as well

How do you attach the chair to the back of the bag? I had to replace my chair after the korum one fell apart on me so brought a chub one than fits just about as well
I do it a bit differently to the way Korum intended. I don’t like the straps going over the chair nor do I like the fact the bag must be removed from the chair and placed back on the chair every single time I want to move. On my ruckbag (the older type) there are 4 Velcro loops on the under side. These were probably meant for carrying banksticks or something like that. Well conveniently they are 470mm apart same dimension as most lightweight chair widths including the Korum one. I simply attached my bag to the back of the chair with these. My bag never leaves the chair now. I unpack it and pack it back up then put the whole lot on my shoulders. It works for me.
I’m unsure of whether the newer roving ruckbags have these 4 Velcro loops.

Forgot about this. Looked at my bag and it has got the straps on. Might have a mess with mine now the fishing trips will be less frequent and see if my chair fits that way and if it feels any better. With my new chair it’s a lot tighter than the korum chair having it the way it’s intended

For the first time this season I've started using crampons. They're truly brilliant ...SO much better than crawling about on 'all-fours'. But my only niggle with them has been the problem of keeping them attached to my wellies, especially in sticky mud. I appear to have solved this problem now though by hack-sawing the boot-removal lug on heel of wellie down a tad so it fits snugly into hole in rear of crampon, then screwing a washer into the lug. It works great!
N.b...lower pic is my chair with fully extended new home-made legs (I don't think I'd actually ever extend them that much though!)

For the first time this season I've started using crampons. They're truly brilliant ...SO much better than crawling about on 'all-fours'. But my only niggle with them has been the problem of keeping them attached to my wellies, especially in sticky mud. I appear to have solved this problem now though by hack-sawing the boot-removal lug on heel of wellie down a tad so it fits snugly into hole in rear of crampon, then screwing a washer into the lug. It works great!
N.b...lower pic is my chair with fully extended new home-made legs (I don't think I'd actually ever extend them that much though!)
View attachment 9407
View attachment 9408
Nothing beats a home engineered solution. Very nice Terry.

Well a bit disappointed
My new NGT chair leg adjustment things have failed miserably. Despite looking identical to the likes of the jrc they clearly weren’t.
as soon as the anodising on the alu legs wears through the sprung washer just doesn’t grip and the legs slide freely. Pile of sh.....
So I chopped them off and went with a very crude old school design that has simply worked since time began. The slot in the aluminium leg was a god send for giving the screw something really good to purchase on.
take a look.
The Crap idea Before:
FC064CF1-7C4F-40AC-A960-491265DD8611.jpeg

much improved after. It’s got a nice wall thickness on those aluminium legs so it’s a shame they let it down with this adjustment block
Small stainless collar machined out to a snug size of the leg. Drill, tap and a locking screw to bite into the leg groove.

96B2316A-E32D-4833-82C9-0D03A8AF3DEE.jpeg
4052DECC-53E7-4783-A4E2-A06603FCF54A.jpeg

Butt cups.
aluminium tube cut at 40°.
thick aluminium cap welded on the back and spun up in the lathe to make it look one piece.
drill, tap and lock tight a piece of brass thread in the back.
Unlikely I’ll use it much, I just made it because.......... I can 😊
8276D733-C771-4B30-A07F-87C96847C9DD.jpeg
A581604B-BBE1-4C52-BDFF-3A0405D29F41.jpeg

".... I just made it because.......... I can 😊 ". Whilst fully understanding and appreciating your sentiments, I'd suggest that you don't search for similar gizmos on eBay etc. (Spoiler alert ...the Chinese knock out cheapo-plastic ones for ~10p a pop :eek: )
BTW ...really nice and well made piece of kit 👍👍👍

".... I just made it because.......... I can 😊 ". Whilst fully understanding and appreciating your sentiments, I'd suggest that you don't search for similar gizmos on eBay etc. (Spoiler alert ...the Chinese knock out cheapo-plastic ones for ~10p a pop :eek: )
BTW ...really nice and well made piece of kit 👍👍👍
Unfortunately if I was to ever attempt to make or save any money utilising my tools I’d of been long out of pocket. It’s the sole reason I don’t take things like this into a little production. I’d be working for £5 an hour charging Korum butt cup rates let alone Chinese ones.
what I meant by “because I can” (which sounds quite obnoxious now I read it back 😳) was more meant as “because I enjoy it” 😊

I made a rest head years ago. Can’t for the life of me find it. You could fit various shapes and styles of prongs into it quickly to change the type of rest it would be without unscrewing it. In reality it was a total gimmick because let’s face it how long does it take to unscrew and change a rest and who actually bothers to change it when it’s working. The hours that went into it to make it would of made it a very expensive item indeed and yet not really resolving anyone’s problems. I just got this idea in my head and made it. Very smart looking thing but never gonna take off 😂

Back