• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another little helping hand for the Great Ouse

Just have to hope that some make it through...

Just have to hope that some make it through...

I would imagine it's a bit too expensive to grow them on for a couple of years. Which is a shame, because the size of fry they are introducing there will be eaten by anything that swims (or flies). I would hate to guess how many will make it through to adulthood, but at least they are doing something.

Cheers, Dave.

The thing is fish of any size are now part of the food chain on the Ouse.

I agree, the attrition will be high for new fry, that's always the case in the wild. However, those surviving might be in a better position to survive larger predators than those introduced as two or three year olds?

Either way, it surely must increase the prospects for future barbel anglers on the Great Ouse.

In the last few years the Ouse must have had nigh on 10,000 baby barbel stocked into it.

I believe it is said that fry has a 1% survival rate, that would leave 100 fish:eek: If the EA were serious about getting the numbers up through stockings then then should be doing at least 10,000 a time. That is probably not viable cost wise, shame.

To be fair, baby barbel have been showing in certain spots for a couple of years now so the stockings are acheiving something. The first stockings are coming out at about 1lb to 2lb now but quite a few show signs of cormorant damage which just shows the pitfalls they have to dodge to reach a decent size.

I still haven't seen a blue spot;)

I wonder if otters have a penchant for baby barbel or just the larger fish?

I am pretty sure the blue (and orange) spots fade over the years so unless one is looking for them they might not be too obvious.

Also, how many anglers are actually targeting small barbel? I caught some 1-2lbers on the Thames this year. It became clear one that size does not find it was to get a 20mm cube of meat and a size 6 in its mouth when I came to unhooking! It explained the fierce and rapid bites I was getting at the time which amounted to nothing.

Now if we were fishing double maggot, hemp and tares or a grain of corn or two I am sure we would find more smaller specimens on our hooks. As it is, many are fishing large boilies or pellets.

Anyhow, have heard reports of the Ouzel baby barbel making an appearance so let's hope they thrive :)

Stephen

Stephen, what I am saying is that perch, chub, pike, zander, catfish and eels will scoff this size avidly...not to mention the fact that carp, larger barbel and a host of other fish will take them occasionally if they are in the mood. Add cormorants, goosanders, mergansers, herons, mink, otters and little gits with nets and jam jars :p....and Ash's 1% survival estimate starts to look like a generous one...and that's not counting floods and the like that fish of that size often can't cope with.

If they grew them on, even for another couple of years, their size then would be beyond the scope of a fair percentage of those causes of mortality, thereby vastly reducing the numbers required for an effective restocking programme. I have no idea whether that would be more or less cost effective for the EA?

Cheers, Dave.

When did the EA invest in their time machine?:confused: (check the date on the video)
Rather than going forward to add stock fish, could they not go back in time to sort the problems before they happen?:confused:;):D

When did the EA invest in their time machine?:confused: (check the date on the video)
Rather than going forward to add stock fish, could they not go back in time to sort the problems before they happen?:confused:;):D

You don't see the resemblance between that vehicle and the 'Back to the future' DeLorean then Chris :D

Cheers, Dave.

Is it just me that's confused by the date of 'Barbel stocking, 9th Sept 2012' when we have not made it to that date yet?

I wonder if otters have a penchant for baby barbel or just the larger fish?

I am pretty sure the blue (and orange) spots fade over the years so unless one is looking for them they might not be too obvious.

Also, how many anglers are actually targeting small barbel? I caught some 1-2lbers on the Thames this year. It became clear one that size does not find it was to get a 20mm cube of meat and a size 6 in its mouth when I came to unhooking! It explained the fierce and rapid bites I was getting at the time which amounted to nothing.

Now if we were fishing double maggot, hemp and tares or a grain of corn or two I am sure we would find more smaller specimens on our hooks. As it is, many are fishing large boilies or pellets.

Anyhow, have heard reports of the Ouzel baby barbel making an appearance so let's hope they thrive :)

Stephen

I have been catching the stockies for nigh on for the last 2 years at the spots where they were introduced (Pictures on the Ouse page over the last few seasons). I believe my record is 20 in a morning session. 2 years ago they were averaging 8-12oz. The rate of capture has gone down this season but the fish are now showing at around 1-2lb. Still can have 5 in a session. Only ever caught 2 fish with the blue tattoo, but only 600 were stocked that had tats on. I still think stocking the fish is just a plaster over the wound.

The stock fish also like a cheese breakfast from my experience!!

Stephen, what I am saying is that perch, chub, pike, zander, catfish and eels will scoff this size avidly...not to mention the fact that carp, larger barbel and a host of other fish will take them occasionally if they are in the mood. Add cormorants, goosanders, mergansers, herons, mink, otters and little gits with nets and jam jars :p....and Ash's 1% survival estimate starts to look like a generous one...and that's not counting floods and the like that fish of that size often can't cope with.

If they grew them on, even for another couple of years, their size then would be beyond the scope of a fair percentage of those causes of mortality, thereby vastly reducing the numbers required for an effective restocking programme. I have no idea whether that would be more or less cost effective for the EA?

Cheers, Dave.

you forgot the odd idiot with a rubber dinghy and drift net.:eek:

you forgot the odd idiot with a rubber dinghy and drift net.:eek:

More common than most realise unfortunately. Ever wondered how some waters seem to empty of fish overnight? It's otters, it's cormorants they all cry! Ye right - thousands of em turned up one evening and ate all the fish! No - it's the scumbags with nets that take the lot for a few quid in their pockets. My local canal has been netted dozens of times, they turn up on the Ribble and net out entire pools and even a local club water surrounded by flats and houses was targeted. :mad:

More good news :)

More Young Barbel for the Ouse

The EA's Charlotte Eade is pictured releasing some 1,500 mini-whiskers at Adams Mill with, inset, a sample of the fish going in. Image courtesy Trevor Johnstone
Ravaged River Great Ouse barbel stocks have had another boost courtesy of the Environment Agency's fisheries team.

Writing in the Milton Keynes Chronicle, Milton Keynes Angling Association's Trevor Johnstone reports that:

For the third successive year the EA have stocked junior barbel into the River Great Ouse – reared at their Calverton facility – with 6,000 fish split between the beats at Adams Mill, Sherington Bridge, Radwell and Sharnbrook.

Trev advises all local anglers:
“If you catch something which looks like a gudgeon but isn't... to return it to the water especially carefully as it will have a lot of growing still to do!”

When did the EA invest in their time machine?:confused: (check the date on the video) Rather than going forward to add stock fish, could they not go back in time to sort the problems before they happen?:confused:;):D

I remember 1.000 barbel being stocked into Adams Mill in year 2000. Seems like there is a big big problem somewhere if they keep stocking it every year in many places. Seems that the EA are only 'Maintaining' the continued presence of the species (which is their duty in 'Maintain, Improve and Develope') and not confronting the real cause of the population/habitat decline.

This is the way they get away with it... without being held libel for the decline which they should be!;)

Cheers, Dave.

Agreed across the board, but eels? If there was the population of eels of 30+ years ago, maybe there'd not be the need for this drop in the ocean restocking. Too little too late I'm afraid.

Agreed across the board, but eels? If there was the population of eels of 30+ years ago, maybe there'd not be the need for this drop in the ocean restocking. Too little too late I'm afraid.

Why is it to late? This stocking must help.

They should breed and survive 'naturally' with no help from the EA! In this case, stocking barbel indicates that there is a 'breeding' problem and possibly a lot of others. Stocking barbel into unsuitable declining habitat/water quality etc is not the answer until the EA address the cause of the decline. Obviously, they won't do that, or they already know the reasons and know they are to blame and wont ever admit liability!! By re-stocking once prolific areas, the EA are covering their own backs so they don't get blamed/held responsible for the decline/total elimination of the species in certain parts of the river, as said above. Interestingly, if the EA don't dye mark the stocked baby barbel, then you would never know the difference between 'stocked' fish and 'natural' spawned young fish, so another way to say there is 'no problem' and they are breeding ok when an angler catches a small one or themselves when they do surveys etc!

Last edited:
Back