• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust Seal Statement

Ben Whitehouse

Afternoon,

As The seal is now present in both my club water on the lower Severn and the lower Teme I am interested to see what the AT, EA, Natural England etc will do about it, especially as its been seen feeding on fish in the spawning grounds of the lower teme. I personally saw it on the opening day down powick around 1pm- I reported it and I hope others do the same

The AT have released this statement today for hose of you that are interested.

Statement from Angling Trust about Severn Seal - The Angling Trust

That's a start anyway Ben. Thanks for the link

Hi Ben

It is a start I guess bit I'm wondering at what point someone be it an angler or not will take the matter into their own hands!

The Seal/s along with the now countless Otters, Cormorants, Signal Crayfish and other invading 'predators' from Europe are without a doubt affecting our river systems and fish stocks..

I'm not sure if the long term effects can be predicted at this stage but you don't have to be a scientist to know that it cannot go on like this without causing some very serious damage to our sport...

Regards

Sean

Bad Bad news for the Teme..I wonder how many Barbel and Chub have now been wiped out by the Seal..The Temes Barbel population is already getting less and less as every season passes, soon they wont be there at all..
Interesting how the AT are basicly saying the EA dont care but they continue to work with them..:rolleyes:..
RIP River Teme..

Does anyone own a shotgun? Lets face it I can't see this ending well as as far as everyone bar anglers is concerned the seal is just eating fish to survive.

I rather like the advice from the AT that

"Under no circumstances should the seal be approached or contacted in any way."

Pity.....I was going to send it a email and ask it to return to the North Sea.....

It seems as though sightings have dried up....when was it/they last seen??

Paul

Back