• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust Press Release - Scandalous...

Ray Walton

Angling Trust Press Release - Scandalous Waste of Precious Resources as Environment Agency Contractors Destroy River Habitat -

After a lengthy investigation, the Angling Trust has uncovered evidence of the destruction of habitat for fish and other wildlife by Environment Agency contractors carrying out flood defence works on rivers in six English counties, in what has become an issue of national concern.

The problems have arisen from over-zealous contractors, funded by the Environment Agency, causing widespread damage to bankside trees and removing in-river debris. This work has left affected stretches devoid of riparian cover and consequently fish populations are now at significantly greater risk of predation by otters, cormorants and goosanders, and will have less food from invertebrates that rely on vegetation and woody debris.

The Angling Trust issued a formal complaint on behalf of its members regarding related issues on the River Idle in Lincolnshire and the River Mole in the Thames catchment. Despite receiving a positive response to enquiries from Environment Agency officers in the River Idle area, with a promise to learn from what appeared to be an isolated incident, it now appears that the problem is much more widespread.

The Angling Trust has received information from anglers in Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Hampshire, Warwickshire, Surrey and Kent in response to an appeal for information on its Facebook pages. This post reached over 68,000 anglers and almost 10,000 engaged with the thread, demonstrating the scale of the issue. A dossier of evidence compiled by the Angling Trust to demonstrate the impact of the works has been sent to the Environment Agency.

In response to these complaints, Judy Proctor, the Deputy Director for Agriculture, Fisheries & Natural Environment at the Environment Agency has written to the Chief Executive of the Angling Trust confirming that the Agency has reviewed their existing guidance around channel maintenance works. It was also stated that the Agency is working with local managers to ensure appropriate consultation with affected parties is carried out in the future.

The annual budget for flood defence work exceeds the sum generated from rod licence sales for habitat improvement projects by a huge factor, and yet money from the floods budget is being used to undo the good work funded by the other.

One particularly perverse example was reported on the River Medway in Kent. The stretch in question is controlled by Royal Tunbridge Wells Angling Society, which recently received a grant of £2,000 from the Environment Agency for habitat improvements including tree planting. Therefore, the club were shocked when they visited the stretch in December 2016 to oversee a fish stocking by the EA only to find another department of the same organisation destroying bankside habitat just downstream.

Clive Rainger, Chairman of Royal Tunbridge Wells Angling Society, explained: “The Environment Agency have been extremely professional and very helpful in assisting us to improve the habitat and fish stocks on this stretch of the Medway, but the flood prevention department have clearly not been working in unison. Although we managed to stop the damaging work by the contractors before it was completed, they had already undone some of our hard work."

Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of the Angling Trust & Fish Legal, said: “The removal of trees and in-river debris is particularly perverse because the EA also funds work to plant riverside trees to shade the water and other projects to install flow-deflectors to create fishery habitat. It constitutes both a scandalous waste of scarce public resources and a disregard for the sensitivity of the water environment. We welcome the Environment Agency’s national commitment following our investigation to take steps to stop this happening in future years and to consult properly with our member clubs and fishery owners. We are very grateful to all those who responded to us with information and encourage any member clubs or fishery owners who have concerns about damaging flood defence works to contact us as soon as possible so that we can make representations on their behalf.â€
http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News&itemid=3680

Give an idiot a chainsaw..... heartbreaking to see this, we have all had experiences of such vandalism, my local WA has been the subject of these idiots who seem to have little understanding of managing a water way. Only in the last couple of weeks there was a piece on Countryfile showing how correct management can benefit by not cutting down trees that will die and then cause collapse of the banks, plus the lack of cover and food that all wildlife is dependent. They were highlighting the correct way by pollarding, it is not rocket science, so ****ing miffed....

Watch the Vid Footage and see what they do and did ...As mentioned in the Angling Trust’s Press Release and Evidence Dossier –
River Mole – EA Riverbank Destruction -Trees, Vegetation and Fishery Habitat Carnage..Click on the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7gf9gGeCZA

Heartbreaking to see that on a river that has meant so much to me for over 50 years. The poor old river has had to put up with a history of pollution incidents, Gatwick airport, damaging flow regime interference and signal crays.

Happened on a favorite stretch off the Vyrnwy 7 years ago , don't think it will ever recover. Heart breaking .

My club must be one of the few to be able to report positive work done on one of our stretches. However, it may have been different had a member not gone for a Sunday stroll and found the machinery in situ ready to be used the following day. A series of phone calls to club officials/and the regional EA as well as 1:1 conversations with the EA employees sorted everything out beforehand (plus the fact we were able to get members down on the river to keep an eye on works as they took place). I think the main difference here was that it was an EA team and not sub-contractors. The work was done to the highest possible standard and the fish habitats were carefully maintained. Even the resident otters weren't disturbed! Having looked at the YouTube clip of the Mole, I doubt (although I may be wrong) if that the latter was taken into account when they were laying waste to the bankside growth there and that as we all know, could have made it illegal!

I nearly mentioned the same Anthony as I remember conservation groups trumpeting their placement of artificial holts on the Mole hoping to attract otters many years ago.

I never thought to take pictures of the Chess, prior to its destruction by the EA. I could take some now but no one would ever believe it was once an amazingly productive wild brown Trout fishery with a phenomenal Mayfly hatch.

Paul...Get the pics and video footage to keep a record. This is ongoing with the AT and others who care passionately and hopefully something will come of it to stop it happening again. They want more anglers and clubs to come forward with info and pics etc. I have a feeling this destruction may get worse and I forsee that the EA Flood Defence teams/contractors may bring in the dredgers and mass mechanical reciprocal bladeweed cutting machines in the not too distant future. Hope they don't but i think it's on the cards so best to keep eyes open of whats going on...especially when were not on the bank.

Angling Trust - Please share widely and encourage any affected angling club to get in touch with AT campaigns officer James Champkin with details and photographs at James.champkin@anglingtrust.net

..or you can send them to me via facebook or email at rollingpinboy@aol.com and i will collate them and pass them onto James.

This issue appears to have got some good coverage on wider social media - George Monbiot has been busy tweeting his thoughts on the EA's nonsensical vandalism.

arent these muppets supposed to carry out environmental impact studies before they carry out works like this. the EA seems to be about flood prevention, money making, boating, bio diversity and enforcement, in that order. Blaming the trees and bushes for the huge raft of reasons for increased flooding is simply ridiculous. the front line troops on the EA seem a good bunch, the management however seem clueless. imo

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ers-stumped-by-bankside-devastation-1-8485412

ray - I know Dave Rushton of Leeds has sent or is sending you before and after videos of this sickening destruction on the Nidd at Hammerton (to which the picture attached to the article doesn't really do justice, but suffice to say that a 3-mile stretch used to look like the left bank in the picture on both banks ... and what an unspoiled habitat it was).

This stretch only tops the flood banks when the waters are backing up from the much more major river downstream, so this makes the destruction all the more senseless.

Hi Graham...I have passed your link above to the Angling Trust with your info and they want to follow this up... I have not received the pics or vids/links from Dave Rushton so can you ask him to contact me on Facebook or email at rollingpinboy@aol or James.champkin@anglingtrust.net. It would be much appreciated...Cheers... Ray

The devastation repeats itself at Cattal and Tockwith on the Nidd. I asked the farmer if it was to enable York to flood sooner. He was a bit shirty replying that "why should I have my fields flooded".
I have some "before" photo's but non "after". Scandalous, when are the EA going to give an apologetic explanation and let us know which highly paid member of staff is to be disciplined?
Would a Freedom of Information request be of any use regarding the environmental impact. They surely must have prepared one.

Back